Puget Sound

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Slow cold morning. Started at about 7:00 and called it a day around noon. 25° when I started and still frost in the shade when I quit. Some cold digits weather.
Five fish to hand and a few others lost. The stop technique seem to work the best to get followers to commit. It got super bright with mirror flat water, which is no bueno in my book.
SF

IMG_5701.jpegIMG_5706.jpegIMG_5707.jpegIMG_5704.jpeg

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Slow cold morning. Started at about 7:00 and called it a day around noon. 25° when I started and still frost in the shade when I quit. Some cold digits weather.
Five fish to hand and a few others lost. The stop technique seem to work the best to get followers to commit. It got super bright with mirror flat water, which is no bueno in my book.
SF

View attachment 92175View attachment 92176View attachment 92177View attachment 92178
Big prop on that one! Looks post-spawn, but gorgeous and healthy. Good genes.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Big prop on that one! Looks post-spawn, but gorgeous and healthy. Good genes.

On the skinny side for sure, but way too early to be post spawn in my opinion based on where I was fishing. Lots of argulids on it as well which tells me it likely hasn’t been in freshwater yet. I usually start seeing post spawn fish in January at this location.
Definitely needs to pound down a few more Whoopers, but still gave up a good tussle with multiple jumps.
SF

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What is the P sound known for from a flyrod perspective...SRC? Coho?
SRC and coho are available basically year round, with the coho ranging from trout sized in the winter to the occasional 10+lb ocean fish in September-October. Pink salmon are available in odd years from late July to early September (varies year to year). A few estuaries offer staging chum in late October-mid November.

But you never know what you’ll hook!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Cold and slow out there this morning, tide not great either.

View attachment 92277

Good job getting out Lou.
Cold weather, bright sunny skies and lack of tidal movement aren’t a great combo.
I noticed yesterday even though the incoming looked good on the chart, it never really moved. Should have been moving left to right where I was located, which it never did. It just came up without really moving.

I did catch a fish a couple days ago that was around 14”. It puked up multiple backbone spines that were about 2” long. I saw no bait but I’m wondering if it may not have been juvenile anchovies or perhaps small sandlance.
SF

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This winter cutthroat season I have committed to getting out more and discovering more beaches, rather than fishing the same 2 or 3 that have been blasted everywhere anyway. I’ve got a trip planned this Friday, with quite a few beaches I intend to fish, but I am debating between increasing the number of beaches I fish, and the time I spend at each. I was planning around two hours per beach before moving, switching beaches during the slack tide period.

Would I be making better use of my time fishing fewer beaches more thoroughly?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Cold foggy day. Fog never left the water.
Current was crap, so ended up walking almost three miles up and down the beach looking for it. I would have left earlier due to lack of action, but I saw several jumbos jump. Couldn’t get the big guys to commit.
Half a dozen fish to hand and some others lost. Nothing special size wise.
Had a nice visit with @Go Fish
Good to see you today Dave.
A few pics from today.
SF

IMG_5736.jpegIMG_5732.jpegIMG_5733.jpegIMG_5734.jpegIMG_5735.jpeg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
This winter cutthroat season I have committed to getting out more and discovering more beaches, rather than fishing the same 2 or 3 that have been blasted everywhere anyway. I’ve got a trip planned this Friday, with quite a few beaches I intend to fish, but I am debating between increasing the number of beaches I fish, and the time I spend at each. I was planning around two hours per beach before moving, switching beaches during the slack tide period.

Would I be making better use of my time fishing fewer beaches more thoroughly?

It really depends what you want to accomplish. Some days and on certain beaches and tides the water moves great pretty much all day, so there isn’t a ton of slack water time. You might be moving to a new beach while the water is still moving great on the beach you left.
If your goal is to learn new beaches and which tides they fish best on, you might consider staying and fishing the full tide, say from the high to the low.
You’ll start to see patterns develop as to which tides fish best on certain beaches. Depending on the tide, fishing it through the low will let you see structure you couldn’t see at higher tides. All this takes time though and likely won’t happen on just one trip.
Also with the shorter days, unless the next beach you intend to fish is close by, you’ll be burning some good fishing time while relocating. I tend not to move much, especially if I’m fishing a beach I know produces nice fish. I do tend to move up and down the beach though and will fish it similar to a river if the water is moving good by going back to the top and working back through.
Good luck and have fun.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
An otter checked me out within a rod length as I entered the beach today, then continued its mission on trying to sneak attack some floating mallards. Never seen that tactic before.
0CE539C7-D77D-4144-86A6-FF6C95CA9B72.jpeg
Without any signs of fish present, I walked the beach in the sun for an hour, casting under the wind shadow to one surprise eater.

TGIF everyone.