What's Catching You Fish?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Took the 8wt and big net unicorn hunting but all I found were a few small muddler eaters.
20231109_105515.jpg
20231109_fish2.jpg
ran an egg and tool fly combo through for cleanup but only a few smaller ones
20231109_fish8.jpg

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
yesterday I got out yesterday for the first time since my knee surgery. It was VERY windy and the water was a bit off color but this orange egg caught an absolute pile of whitefish (and a few trout)
Nice! How’d the knee feel?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Nice! How’d the knee feel?

Not bad but not great. It was probably a week or so too early, I felt a little too vulnerable wading. It worked in my favor that it was super windy so I just blamed that for all the breaks, the stream side nap, and the calling it a bit early. I didn’t get hurt or fall so that was good. But regardless, I’m glad I got out because it gave me the energy to deal with two separate 5 year old birthday parties today.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3209 - Copy.jpg

32F when I parked the truck yesterday, added air to my float tube. The water was 48F Thursday and colder yesterday (no Fishin' Buddy yesterday). I usually move the jig, rarely letting the fly settle but yesterday just letting it hang resulted in more bobber downs than twitchingjiggingshakingmoving.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
View attachment 90662

View attachment 90663

32F when I parked the truck yesterday, added air to my float tube. The water was 48F Thursday and colder yesterday (no Fishin' Buddy yesterday). I usually move the jig, rarely letting the fly settle but yesterday just letting it hang resulted in more bobber downs than twitchingjiggingshakingmoving.
That collar color over the olive is tasty looking.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
All they would eat today, nothing else got touched. After the first fish.
20231117_BHGRHE_after1st.jpg
And at the end.
20231117_grheEnd.jpg
Some nice trout today.
20231117_122111.jpg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
20231114_153748.jpg

Was just about to admit defeat with this fleshy thing, too much orange, not enough wiggle, kinda sucks to cast.... 2 days of hard swinging and not a bump.

That changed in a slick spot between two seams, as this bull decided it looked like a perfect breakfast.

Screenshot_20231119-120159_Video Player.jpg

On the other end of the line was the largest bull I've ever seen. Fought for about 5 minutes thinking it was a chum, and a big one at that. When it got within 15 ft for the first time I saw the fins and shit my pants. I didnt measure him, my gut says 30ish inches and a little skinny, probably recently done spawning. He was scarred from nets and fights, with a snubbed off kype and spots that faded in the net but turned more and more pink as he revived. I've never been more in awe of a fish than I was of this Bully of the river.

Screenshot_20231119-165215_Video Player.jpg

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
View attachment 91450

Was just about to admit defeat with this fleshy thing, too much orange, not enough wiggle, kinda sucks to cast.... 2 days of hard swinging and not a bump.

That changed in a slick spot between two seams, as this bull decided it looked like a perfect breakfast.

View attachment 91452

On the other end of the line was the largest bull I've ever seen. Fought for about 5 minutes thinking it was a chum, and a big one at that. When it got within 15 ft for the first time I saw the fins and shit my pants. I didnt measure him, my gut says 30ish inches and a little skinny, probably recently done spawning. He was scarred from nets and fights, with a snubbed off kype and spots that faded in the net but turned more and more pink as he revived. I've never been more in awe of a fish than I was of this Bully of the river.

View attachment 91454
Man, that is a worthy counterpart to some of the rainbows @G_Smolt has posted with that fly. So cool.

Zak

Legend
View attachment 91450

View attachment 91452

View attachment 91454
Wow! Congrats man, that's awesome!

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
View attachment 91450

View attachment 91452

View attachment 91454
Thats a superb bull. Few reach that size locally. Congratulations.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Fished my 10' 6wt Echo Stillwater w/ a 6wt trout boss line from Cortland. Heck of an indicator setup, but not very sensitive for tightline work. Sz. 10 knuckle dragging stone and sz. 14 hares ear.
20231120_stillwater.jpg
20231120_fly.jpg
20231120_grhe_sz14_fish.jpg
20231120_KNUCKSTONE_fish.jpg
Glad to have the muscle of the 6wt.
20231120_beast.jpg

Last edited: