What's in your vise?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
A few weeks ago I fished Lake Lenore with @Starman77, he showed me a new water boatmen pattern: a bead, hook and "Canadian black" simiseal dubbing. I thought it might be too big, he proved me wrong. Since then I've tied up several "Canadian black" water boatmen patterns and have managed to catch quite a few trout with the fly. Trout like it fished FAST, a few variations on this theme:

IMG_3202.jpg

🤞on the UV (on scud back material) tie.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
A few weeks ago I fished Lake Lenore with @Starman77, he showed me a new water boatmen pattern: a bead, hook and "Canadian black" simiseal dubbing. I thought it might be too big, he proved me wrong. Since then I've tied up several "Canadian black" water boatmen patterns and have managed to catch quite a few trout with the fly. Trout like it fished FAST, a few variations on this theme:

View attachment 90037

Great flies. That's the dubbing color I prefer for the stupid stocker leech I fish in the spring.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Lou, are you building a herl body and wrapping tinsel over that or does the herl go on top? Nice flies.
Hi Phil, the herl wraps over the flash body that's been wet with uv epoxy. I then zap the herl in place.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Curious...Does the UV stuff float or sink?
Hmmmm, good question. I don't know what the cured resin's specific gravity is; this fly will sink as the bead (2.8 mm) is tungsten.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Hmmmm, good question. I don't know what the cured resin's specific gravity is; this fly will sink as the bead (2.8 mm) is tungsten.
Thinking about the boatman idea. Wouldn't you want the shell back on top?

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Thinking about the boatman idea. Wouldn't you want the shell back on top?
Wayne - Most of my old boatmen ties have a shell back and swim legs. Maybe the trout that are hitting this fly (stripped very fast) aren't taking it for a boatmen but I think they are. My theory is since the fly is being stripped so quickly that trout have to react quickly; they don't get a long look at it (the strikes are usually quite hard, sometimes violent, rarely subtle). (Most of my boatmen are more tan colored.)

Edit: "on top", yeah. Gotcha.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 90037

I’ve done well with water boatman especially in the fall
I’m with you @Buzzy
The faster retrieve forces the fish to a quick decision

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Trying some of these Ray Bergman Wet Flies...

He says in his book: "Among the many hundreds of paterns shown, any fly-tier may find inspiration. It should be pointed out that many of the wet patterns lend themselves to dry fly construction. Keep in mind and do not think of them as only wet flies."

Really a man ahead of his time. Isn't that what we are all doing? Taking someone else's pattern and putting our own spin on it. Not to take away from anyone here, lots of original awesomess on this forum, just saying, this is where we all came from. I am hoping to give these a shot at some point!

Here is the Abbey, from plate 1:

Traditional:
DSC_0460-edit 1.jpg
DSC_0459-edit 1-1.jpg

Folded wing:
DSC_0463-edit 1.jpg
DSC_0461-edit 1.jpg

Converted to a dry fly:
DSC_0464-edit 1.jpg
DSC_0466-edit 1.jpg

Scottp

Legend
Toucan Beak Mayfly

53326472211_b25c955259_c.jpg

53326472206_68dc0a6612_c.jpg

53325599762_c38e6b0673_c.jpg

Named after the Rit color formula; a nice coppery orange/golden olive. Feels good to be back to the dye bath.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - MFC 8/0 rusty brown
tail - pheasant tail
rib - small wire copper
body - Swiss Straw dyed copper orange (2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/2 Tsp Rit Tan, 1/8 Tsp Rit Sunshine Orange/2 cups water)
thorax - Ice Dub pheasant tail
hackle - ginger
1st shoulder - chukar partridge dyed copper orange
2nd shoulder - pheasant rump dyed copper orange

Regards,
Scott

Tallguy

Steelhead
A few more to round out the winter hair wing box.
View attachment 90206
Might I ask what types of winter conditions do you see that would make you tie one of these on, versus the larger intruder type options?? Or are you using these for very specific rivers/locations?

WA winter steel has not been kind to me, versus surrounding options where sometimes occasionally I feel like a competent fisherman.