Got any bird pics?

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm going through images this evening while watching USC and Washington trade touchdowns... what a game! Anyway, I came across this one which I took of a blue phase Ross' goose (in center/left of image) amongst a bunch of its normal colored brethren. I took the image several years ago at one of our wildlife areas in NE California. Ross' geese are a diminutive white goose - similar in size to cacklers. While the blue phase is common in snow geese, it's quite rare in Ross' geese (around 1 in 10,000 birds).

bluephaseRossemail.jpg

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
My Son was replacing a windshield at a local business when he spotted this Flicker. The mechanics told him that the bird has wintered there & perched in that same corner for the last 3 years.image000000(5).jpg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Had three flickers in my backyard this morning with a stellar jay watching them.
The flickers were hammering my poor less than stellar lawn. Going after worms or something else?
SF

IMG_5392.jpegIMG_5397.jpegIMG_5398.jpegIMG_5400.jpeg

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
When we have had prolonged snow cover, Flickers would regularly work the soft snow-free soil next to the house foundation for any & everything edible. As I was cleaning up leaves today I saw "bore holes" along the back sidewalk where a Flicker had been mining ants.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Was looking out my home office window this morning when these two gals flew in to check the telephone pole out for breakfast.
SF

IMG_5456.jpegIMG_5455.jpegIMG_5454.jpegIMG_5453.jpegIMG_5452.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Had three flickers in my backyard this morning with a stellar jay watching them.
The flickers were hammering my poor less than stellar lawn. Going after worms or something else?
SF

View attachment 89597View attachment 89598View attachment 89599View attachment 89603
The flickers around here seem to really love ants and termites, so maybe those, or these beetles that like our “natural” lawns. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...new-bug-in-town-and-its-coming-for-your-lawn/