Puget Sound

Sometimes cutts will be highly concentrated in one small hot spot within a beach that all looks the same. I’m not sure why, likely tides and structure but once you get out of that area, your success will decline or can go totally dead. That hot spot can also move move up or down the beach, depending on what the tide is doing.
As an example, I fished my favorite beach a few years ago. The beach has similar structure for its length, with various points and lots of oysters. I generally start at one end and work my way to the other end. I caught nothing until I hit about a 100’ wide section that was mid beach, which yielded a lot of fish. I caught nothing after that stretch. After I got to the end of the beach, I went back up and started at the top of where I had caught the fish. Guess what, they were gone.
So I went back up to the very top and encountered them again but in a different area.
That eventually dried up fish wise as well, but I found them again about an hour later on a different section of beach. Over about a six hour period, I walked about 4 miles that day on the same beach and finally called it a day after the tide petered out. I think I saw maybe three fish jump that entire day, which compared to the number of fish caught was nothing.
On this same beach, fellow board member @DimeBrite and myself caught what I’d estimate to be nearly 35-40 fish out of a depression you’d never know was there. We would not have been able to reach it with casts on a higher tidal phase. Had we left earlier, we wouldn’t have experienced that. Just insanely great fishing.
I tend not to relocate a lot when I know I’m on a good beach. It results in skunking sometimes which is part of the game. Other times, staying and being stubborn has paid off.
No two days are alike. Patterns will develop on which beaches fish best on certain tidal phases. Have fun out there and it will come together.
SF

While my salt experience with sea-runs is limited I have fished local rivers for decades. My observation is that our sea-run can be very gregarious, at times in surprising numbers. Also, it seems that those concentrating locations vary with water conditions, whether flows in rivers or in the salt, tide stage, amount of current, substrate and other factors.

To SF point to really get a feel for the potential of a given beach one needs to fish it through the tides and under different conditions (magnitude of tide, wind, etc.) to ferret out those key conditions for a individual beach.

Curt

27,623 coho at Sunset Falls.

Between George Adams, Hoodsport, Issaquah, Soos, Voights, Tumwater and Minter, there are 61,160 chinook back to the hatcheries.
If I recall correctly, MA 9 had a quota of 4,300 chinook this summer, with the season lasting seven days.
SF

Between George Adams, Hoodsport, Issaquah, Soos, Voights, Tumwater and Minter, there are 61,160 chinook back to the hatcheries.
If I recall correctly, MA 9 had a quota of 4,300 chinook this summer, with the season lasting seven days.
SF
MA9 and MA7 seasons are becoming bad jokes.

I would say that I'd like to see more in river opportunities for Chinook if we are saying goodbye to our ocean seasons, but the truth is most of the freshwater angling in the Fall Chinook hatchery streams would just be a bunch of urban combat fishing, not my scene.

SF
So not a shortage of PS hatchery Chinook then. But I think the allowable take of ESA listed wild Stilly Chinook was something like 8 or 9 fish. As long as WDFW, by demand of the Stillaguamish Tribe, pretends that restricting recreational fishing will help recover Stilly Chinook (it won't), then this is what PS and freshwater fishing looks like for the foreseeable 100 years.

A lot of good info on this page for me, in my now completed first year of beach fishing I know I've been to stubborn and sometimes to lazy, time to start being a bit more intentional in moving around both on a given beach and from beach to beach. Looking forward to year #2, it's fun stuff!

So not a shortage of PS hatchery Chinook then. But I think the allowable take of ESA listed wild Stilly Chinook was something like 8 or 9 fish. As long as WDFW, by demand of the Stillaguamish Tribe, pretends that restricting recreational fishing will help recover Stilly Chinook (it won't), then this is what PS and freshwater fishing looks like for the foreseeable 100 years.
Sadly this Disease has now Infected the Snohomish system. Closing a whole river basin including 6 different rivers because someone might, Might encounter a Chinook ? ? Plus the icing on the cake is we have the best coho return in 10+ years !! Look out Skagit River they will come up with some excuse to close you down.
Rant over.

A few cutts from today. Otters on my favorite beach, which is a bummer to see.
Tweakers sleeping in a small red car observed in MA 13.
SF

IMG_5263.jpegIMG_5259.jpegIMG_5260.jpegIMG_5254.jpeg

Tough day for sure. I have not been that cold in October since I was a kid and donned leopard skin skivies to go tricker treating as Jimmy Super Fly Snuka.

Hooked about 5 myself, but the couple I landed and at least one other was foul hooked. Tough conditions fishing in shallow water on the outgoing. Even unweighted flies foul hooked fish which were mostly up in knee deep water. I much prefer incoming tides in water thigh deep or deeper. I am pretty sure a few we hooked today were legit though. Based on where in the water column they were hooked, fight and the take. I think the best chum fishing is still ahead of us.

IMG_3506.jpeg

Fished from 7:30 until 1:30 today. Damn cold with the fog but it turned into just a beautiful day.
IMG_5266.jpeg
Was going to call it a day earlier, but glad I didn’t as the best bite was an hour before the low.
The little white and gray clouser @Wanative showed me last year provided the the most action. I added added a palmer chenille belly. More of a quality versus quantity day.
I lost several nice fish, but got to see two of them charge in and eat.
A few pics from today.
IMG_5276.jpegIMG_5274.jpegIMG_5277.jpegIMG_5280.jpeg
IMG_5282.jpegIMG_5283.jpeg
SF

Fished from 7:30 until 1:30 today. Damn cold with the fog but it turned into just a beautiful day.
View attachment 88156
Was going to call it a day earlier, but glad I didn’t as the best bite was an hour before the low.
The little white and gray clouser @Wanative showed me last year provided the the most action. I added added a palmer chenille belly. More of a quality versus quantity day.
I lost several nice fish, but got to see two of them charge in and eat.
A few pics from today.
View attachment 88157View attachment 88158View attachment 88159View attachment 88160
View attachment 88161View attachment 88162
SF
You need a bigger net.

One of mine this week had a ton of lice, also (that patch near its dorsal continued in a line down most of its left side all the way to the tail) These three, South Sound, this morning
20231029_093709.jpg

20231029_091549.jpg

Check out the tiny tail on this guy
20231029_090421.jpg
It's nice though, that the SRC I'm encountering now seem bigger and fatter than in recent years!

Hood Canal on Wed, first cast, first and last fish
20231025_163152.jpg

HC on Thu. This pic shows ALL of the fish caught that day 🙂
20231026_115454.jpg

Back