What's in your vise?

Zak

Legend
That looks so simple I think even I can do it .
It is pretty easy! Here's the originator tying it:

And another tier:

I am tying more with CDC. I just bought some Loon Lochsa to treat the CDC flies, based on @iveofione 's recommendation. Two tools make tying with CDC much more enjoyable when tying CDC with a split thread dubbing loop (but the CDC & Elk does not require that and any kind of clip or Loon D Loop tweezers would do, and slots cut in a foam block would do, too):

PXL_20231027_031207752.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Heckham-Red-1080.jpg

Heckham Red

Tip - White floss
Tail - Turkey brown
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Scarlet floss
Hackle - Brown hen
Wings - Bittern or light brown mottled turkey

Trout - Ray Bergman

Scottp

Legend
Hen Pheasant Crippler

53288797082_6fc2fabe09_c.jpg

53288797102_e6677279ca_c.jpg

53290052609_c87c0a7ba0_c.jpg

Notional.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 tan
tag - medium tinsel opal
tail - hen pheasant neck
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing cinnamon/Antron
hackle - dark ginger
1st shoulder - golden pheasant body feather red
2nd shoulder - hen pheasant rump

Regards,
Scott

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
View attachment 87831
Some buggy/crustaceany SRC flys to restock the box.
Very cool... Looks like they could be good bonefish flies too... they look similar to the Spam-n-Eggs Hawaii pattern. any chance you can share the recipe ?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Still some October left. Sz. 8 5045 w/ 4mm nickel black, burnt orange thread, hares mask tail, ariz. dub oct. caddis body, yellow floss rib, hare's ear thorax, partridge from near the wing, orange az. dub, black/red simi seal. Basically same fly I've done on the caddis hook. These don't hang up on the sticks as much.
20231027_083649.jpg

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
@clarkman they’re about an inch long on a stout size 6 saltwater hook. I thought the same for carp! Decided to whip up a couple more on jig hooks with a 3.8 tungsten and a little darker palette. If only the creek I know of that houses them intown stayed open past the 31st.

A43DA71B-7701-4D87-BDC4-C58669D896D7.jpeg

@Merle sure thing, here is the formula for the one I first post. The above is only a slight variation.

Tail- small clump of apricot marabou and a little peach schlappen. Sandwiched between two golden pheasant feathers and some white spandex rubber legs (I used shaggy dub).

Body- a mix of dubbing: White Chernobyl Afterglow, Ice Dub Shrimp Pink, Cohen’s Carp Dub Blaze Orange, a dab of Fl Pink Laser Dub and a sprinkle of copper. I like to mix dubbing…😁 Secured with Fl Orange wire.

Head- a couple more strands of white shaggy dub, barred Amherst imitation strands (?), peach schlappen wrapped and small lead eyes.

B9A596A2-D7F5-40DE-913F-7B277D11D32B.jpeg

This is the stuff that was sold to me as Amherst imitation. It’s incredibly flowy, no flash and the white is fluorescent. It has a name but I ripped off the label. Bjorn at TheFlyFisher has it.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Dorset-1080.jpg

Dorset

Tail - Furnace hackle tips *
Body - Green floss
Hackle - Light brown furnace
Wing - Teal

Trout - Ray Bergman

Don Bastian Note

* Dr. Burke’s detail-oriented paintings reveal that the tail ingredient of ‘furnace hackle’ on the Dorset in the original written recipe listing (normally fibers) is clearly represented as hackle tips on the painting. See the Adirondack, where the tail recipe actually specifies hackle tips, even though Dr. Burke’s painting of that fly shows a tail of hackle fibers. The hackle tip tail adds a unique element and character to both the Adirondack and the Dorset.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Posting this here since there's no "What's NOT Catching You Fish" thread. Went Wed morning. Should've been a steady parade of coho on the move but only saw 1 fish roll in this frog water. Nice bright one too.

Screenshot_20231026_175601_Gallery.jpg

I've caught them in this spot before on flashy lead eye patterns. This new one with hot pink powder coated eyes should've got the job done. Don't coho know they are supposed to eat stuff like this? ;)

Screenshot_20231027_103218_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_103936_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_103936_Gallery.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 9

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Inspired by @Stonedfish ’s cool green SRC flies last week (which worked awesome BTW), I tried my hand at a variation.

It looks a little disheveled in the vise but I think it will come to life in the water. Hope to give it a swim this weekend.IMG_4543.jpeg

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
@clarkman they’re about an inch long on a stout size 6 saltwater hook. I thought the same for carp! Decided to whip up a couple more on jig hooks with a 3.8 tungsten and a little darker palette. If only the creek I know of that houses them intown stayed open past the 31st.

View attachment 87885

@Merle sure thing, here is the formula for the one I first post. The above is only a slight variation.

Tail- small clump of apricot marabou and a little peach schlappen. Sandwiched between two golden pheasant feathers and some white spandex rubber legs (I used shaggy dub).

Body- a mix of dubbing: White Chernobyl Afterglow, Ice Dub Shrimp Pink, Cohen’s Carp Dub Blaze Orange, a dab of Fl Pink Laser Dub and a sprinkle of copper. I like to mix dubbing…😁 Secured with Fl Orange wire.

Head- a couple more strands of white shaggy dub, barred Amherst imitation strands (?), peach schlappen wrapped and small lead eyes.

View attachment 87886

This is the stuff that was sold to me as Amherst imitation. It’s incredibly flowy, no flash and the white is fluorescent. It has a name but I ripped off the label. Bjorn at TheFlyFisher has it.

Looks like Barred Predator Wrap maybe? Hard to best Amherst though, love that stuff!