NFR 10/8/23 Whidbey Island earthquake

Non-fishing related

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Wife felt the house shudder a bit ago and asked me if I felt it (I hadn't). Turns out there was just a PNW earthquake somewhere south of us. Looks like south end of Whidbey.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 7.28.29 PM.png

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
We felt it, 2 shocks back to back, second was bigger.

Dweddy89

Smolt
Wild! I didn’t feel it but it shook the blinds behind the couch enough for me to ask my wife if she heard that, and my dog looked up at me from across the living room. In port orchard

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
IMG_5066.pngIMG_5066.png

Vandelay Industries

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Didn't feel it but the dog went nuts and ran outside during that time.

johnnyboy

Steelhead
I was sitting on my dining table doing some studies and it felt like someone bumped into the table. My lazy cat drinking his water on the other hand didn’t notice a thing.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
Earthquakes are an amazing force of nature. I can not imagine what it was like when the Cascades and Olympics were formed.

Glad everyone is safe. Dogs are an amazing alarm before it just starts or at least felt by humans. Hug your dog tonight and give him a special treat...

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Earthquake? What earthquake? I didn't know there was an earthquake. Until just now, that is.

JudyM

Steelhead
That is nothing compared to the Nisqually quake of 2001. I will never forget even when in downtown PDX.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
That is nothing compared to the Nisqually quake of 2001. I will never forget even when in downtown PDX.

I was on the 55th floor of a building in downtown Seattle when that one hit.
Very interesting experience, especially walking down 55 flights of stairs since they shut off the elevators.
SF

JudyM

Steelhead
My Boss was downtown Seattle in the Bell Tower building 20 some floors up in a meeting room. Meeting room had a floor to ceiling window that shattered and blew out. Meanwhile, I am in downtown PDX 3 floors up in a brick building watching the computers slide sideways on the tables.
One dumb employee ran outside, good way to get decapitated from falling glass. She was lucky that day and they found me under the table.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
In 1957 our block was the epicenter of a 5.7 that hit Daly City (just south of S.F.). Home alone with a bad cold, laying on the living room floor wrapped up in a blanket watching TV, the quake shook the house so bad the 6' credenza on the wall immediately tipped over, thankfully the coffee table next to me took the weight before it collapsed, leaving me pinned in a pile of broken glass for over an hour until my sister made it home from closed school, and could go for help getting me free. As a trauma level for a child, it was a solid 10...

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
I felt it in Poulsbo. House "shuddered" from side to side for just a second & uttered just one single settling sound.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
In 1957 our block was the epicenter of a 5.7 that hit Daly City (just south of S.F.). Home alone with a bad cold, laying on the living room floor wrapped up in a blanket watching TV, the quake shook the house so bad the 6' credenza on the wall immediately tipped over, thankfully the coffee table next to me took the weight before it collapsed, leaving me pinned in a pile of broken glass for over an hour until my sister made it home from closed school, and could go for help getting me free. As a trauma level for a child, it was a solid 10...
Daaaaamn!

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I was on the 55th floor of a building in downtown Seattle when that one hit.
Very interesting experience, especially walking down 55 flights of stairs since they shut off the elevators.
SF
8th grade social studies on the 2nd floor of Montesano Jr/Sr High. The whole floor was rolling and desks were bouncing across the room. I'll never forget our teacher "oh fuck, it's an earthquake!"

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
8th grade social studies on the 2nd floor of Montesano Jr/Sr High. The whole floor was rolling and desks were bouncing across the room. I'll never forget our teacher "oh fuck, it's an earthquake!"
7th grade home room class. Shared wall with the library, room shared with 2 teachers. Room starts shaking, 2nd teacher comes busting through the door from the library, yells "THIS IS THE REAL DEAL", and dives under the teacher's desk, leaving our home room teacher to ride it out at the front of the class.