Puget Sound

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
1 for 2 on 3-4 lbers plus a few 2 lbers.
Pretty slow overall. Nice quiet morning unlike yesterday when a guy showed up on the beach with a bongo drum. People do some weird shit early in the morning. 😂
SF

Last edited:

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
Nice meeting Stonedfish today! Full day of punching into the wind, and getting clobbered by rollers. All my fishing inside of 40 feet. I went 0/4 in the morning, then 2/4 in the afternoon just after tide change. One larger clipped fish, and a rezzie.

Tried moving in order to not fight the wind so much, but the fish weren't there and the salad was.

The 7wt Boost Blue had a proper christening, and I wouldn't have been effective at all with the 6wt today. So, I'll call it a win! 🙂
IMG_20230918_163055.jpg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Nice meeting Stonedfish today! Full day of punching into the wind, and getting clobbered by rollers. All my fishing inside of 40 feet. I went 0/4 in the morning, then 2/4 in the afternoon just after tide change. One larger clipped fish, and a rezzie.

Tried moving in order to not fight the wind so much, but the fish weren't there and the salad was.

The 7wt Boost Blue had a proper christening, and I wouldn't have been effective at all with the 6wt today. So, I'll call it a win! 🙂
View attachment 82694

Nice meeting you @Greggor and your granddaughter as well. I’m glad she got some good laughs at my expense thanks mainly to @Wadin' Boot 😂😂😂
You did better than I did. Two 3 lbers to hand and a lot of nippy bites. I tried staying out of the wind as much as possible.
That puts an end to my mini five day bender, it you could call it that. I’d usually do ten days in a row, but since fishing wasn’t great, the weather boned me and most the fish were smaller, I’ll do another five days the last week of the month in hopes of better fishing, less sun and bigger fish.
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Walked the dogs just now around a deep south sound beach, plenty of large coho rising/porpoising. They’re the most lockjawed of all the sound and can quickly annoy you. Tomorrow I’ll make an attempt at convincing some eats.

Today was the first day it really felt like fall….and it was great.
Yes, those stagers will drive you crazy. Hopefully you are there for the ten minutes of each day they decide to bite. 😉
SF

Divad

Whitefish
Today was the first day it really felt like fall….and it was great.
Yes, those stagers will drive you crazy. Hopefully you are there for the ten minutes of each day they decide to bite. 😉
SF
It’s like they’ve seen every lure through the gauntlet and know better. It’s the coho I know best as I’ve chased them on gear since back in high school.

Tomorrow I’ll give them a slew of flys in various speeds and depths to try and crack some code.

Side note, maybe a dumb question, do you think the fish in the bottom of the sound are just as safe to eat? I’ve sort of been spoiled this year targeting and eating north sound fish and got to wondering about the fish down here.

Reactions: BCO

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
It’s like they’ve seen every lure through the gauntlet and know better. It’s the coho I know best as I’ve chased them on gear since back in high school.

Tomorrow I’ll give them a slew of flys in various speeds and depths to try and crack some code.

Side note, maybe a dumb question, do you think the fish in the bottom of the sound are just as safe to eat? I’ve sort of been spoiled this year targeting and eating north sound fish and got to wondering about the fish down here.

I ate a lot of south sound fish over the past 60+ years and I’m not at Toxic Avenger levels yet. 😉
Good luck tomorrow. Got any California Neil’s or Croft’s Spiders in your arsenal?
SF

Divad

Whitefish
I ate a lot of south sound fish over the past 60+ years and I’m not at Toxic Avenger levels yet. 😉
Good luck tomorrow. Got any California Neil’s or Croft’s Spiders in your arsenal?
SF
I don’t exactly have them on strong hooks so that’ll be a tonight tie job while watching the Mariners. Wouldn’t have thought of throwing a California Neil. Sounds like small naturals will be the second fly in rotation after seeing if the go-to white baitfish doesn’t produce.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Had to call in the heavy metal today to threaten the little 3 lb coho to get bigger and become silvers….
SF

IMG_4821.jpeg

jeradjames

Steelhead
I had the day off today so I was able to try out some new spots. First spot was a doozy and I think I just arrived as things were cooling off at the second spot as I saw quite a few people with some nice looking coho’s. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to land anything today nor get any bites but it was nice to get out to a different area. The wind was pretty brutal for me and I was only able to cast in one direction for the most part. Nice to see some fellow people fly fishing though for the first time and chatted a bit with one as I was starting to wrap things up for the day. Think I may have been at a spot with some fellow board members but who knows 😎

Last edited: