What's in your vise?

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Looks like palmer chenille. That stuff is money. Also good palmered over ice dub for searun flies.
I like it on clouser bodies as well.
SF

View attachment 81939
I love that stuff, I’ve been trying to find more. Never thought to ask at Avid. I did at another shop and they looked at me as if I’d 2 heads. There’s a really nice fly, the #9 from a Canadian tier called Deb Parscal who designed it. It is a really good fly for SRCs and used the palmered chenillle lightly wrapped over a tinsel or Mylar body.

Dave

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Mercer's Deep Caddis knock off. Sz. 8 1150, 4mm Copper bead, October caddis diamond dub w/ yellow floss stand spun body, medium copper rib, a turn of hares ear and Partridge spun in a loop, Partridge, then black hen with brown tip hackle, Orange diamond dub, black simiseal, burnt orange thread.
20230917_161939.jpg
Bird of prey style.
20230917_171948.jpg

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I love that stuff, I’ve been trying to find more. Never thought to ask at Avid. I did at another shop and they looked at me as if I’d 2 heads. There’s a really nice fly, the #9 from a Canadian tier called Deb Parscal who designed it. It is a really good fly for SRCs and used the palmered chenillle lightly wrapped over a tinsel or Mylar body.

Dave

Dave,
Avid can order it for you. I think Pacific stocks it, but can’t remember.
I’ve also found it a Sportsmen’s in Federal Way. I like the small size.
SF

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Mercer's Deep Caddis knock off. Sz. 8 1150, 4mm Copper bead, October caddis diamond dub w/ yellow floss stand spun body, medium copper rib, a turn of hares ear and Partridge spun in a loop, Partridge, then black hen with brown tip hackle, Orange diamond dub, black simiseal, burnt orange thread.
View attachment 82576
Bird of prey style.
View attachment 82602
Those are sweet, Divad's post a few pages ago inspired me to knock a few out that sort of fall somewhere between his patterns and yours, uglier to be sure but I'm confident they'll work. These have some of that rusty, small, palmered chenille over the dubbing body and under some Partridge and a couple elk hair strands.20230916_154730.jpg

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Turkey-Professor-1080.jpg

Turkey Professor

Hook - Mustad Heritage
Thread - White under body; black head
Tip - Gold tinsel
Tail - Red hackle
Body - Yellow floss
Hackle - Brown
Wing - Brown turkey

How to Tie Flies - E C Gregg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
This pattern has never let me down. Simple and effective.

View attachment 82634
Nice - this pattern takes me back to when my friend Glenn and I would sit at our vises; Glenn had property in Ennis and fished the famous river that flows through town. He liked drifting a Bitch Creek Nymph and taught me to tie it. One fall afternoon we took leave from work and drove to an "S" River the other side of Lake Ozette and fished for searuns; I caught a couple on the Bitch Creek. I don't remember how to tie the fly at all and the rubber legs have long since rotted off the ones from back then.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Nice - this pattern takes me back to when my friend Glenn and I would sit at our vises; Glenn had property in Ennis and fished the famous river that flows through town. He liked drifting a Bitch Creek Nymph and taught me to tie it. One fall afternoon we took leave from work and drove to an "S" River the other side of Lake Ozette and fished for searuns; I caught a couple on the Bitch Creek. I don't remember how to tie the fly at all and the rubber legs have long since rotted off the ones from back then.
Woven body instruction.

Zak

Legend
This pattern has never let me down. Simple and effective.

View attachment 82634
I used to go to "fish camp" every June in upstate New York with a group of older gentlemen. Every year the patriarch world ask me to bring a dozen heavily weighted Montanas and a dozen muddlers for him to hand out to anyone that was having trouble hooking the big browns.

Red thread for the head meant heavily weighted.

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
I used to go to "fish camp" every June in upstate New York with a group of older gentlemen. Every year the patriarch world ask me to bring a dozen heavily weighted Montanas and a dozen muddlers for him to hand out to anyone that was having trouble hooking the big browns.

Red thread for the head meant heavily weighted.
Montanas and Muddlers were my best for West Branch Delaware Browns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter

Dave
Thanks for the reference to the #9 pattern Dave, I searched it and found a good article and SBS on BC Outdoors so took a Crack at some variants. Plan on fishing them tomorrow morning.20230918_131016.jpg

flytie09

Steelhead
Some recent stuff…

IMG_4065.jpeg
UV Purple and Blue Doctor, Harbinger, Ally’s Moscow Mule, Leprechaun, Bright Unnamed Fly, Beats Me, Green Ant and Mellow Yellow

IMG_4052.jpeg
Red Ant, Salmo Le Sac, Wind River and Spruce fly

IMG_4048.jpeg
Black Bear Bright, Purple and Peacock, Purple Comeback, Dec’s Purple Skunk, Mike’s Fly and The Undercoach

IMG_4030.jpeg
Unnamed Cooper Red and Claret Featherwing

IMG_4009.jpeg
Tippet Grub

IMG_4006.jpeg
Green Butt Buck Bug

Divad

Whitefish
Great color! Are those herls from the eye if the peacock feather?
I think they’re called breast feathers, from this patch. I was buying those darn 10 packs for $4 and then managed to find someone with peacocks.
D3CA5E08-D285-4BDB-B9BA-0D1E8D8E7457.jpeg
Once I bought what I thought was gold off Etsy, a bunch of patches that were sold as decoration. Turned out the wedding planner glued all the feathers down to felt patches and rendered them useless for tying, doh! 🤦‍♂️

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Japeto-Frog1080.jpg

Double Barrel Japeto Frog

Ken Capsey

Hook - Kona Big Popper Hook, 2/0
Thread - White
Rear Legs - Fish-Skull Articulated Fish-Spines 15mm, 20mm and 25mm and chartreuse & yellow foam
Feet - Sili-Legs*
Body - Chartreuse & yellow foam
Legs attached to hook with 20-25 pound monofilament
Head - Surface Seducer Double Barrel Popper & Slider Body, large, green chartreuse
Eyes - Surface Seducer Dragon Eyes, 6mm Tropic color
Front Legs - Sili-Legs*
Markers - Pale olive & Burnt umber

*I used olive & black centipede rubber legs