Got any bird pics?

tkww

Steelhead
leu·cism
(lo͞o′kĭz′əm)
n.
A partial loss of pigmentation in a human or other animal, resulting in white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin, hair, fur, or feathers but not the eyes.
Where did you pull that defenition from--specifically the pronunciation? Mariam-Webster says it's a soft c.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just searched the internet. You can also look at leucistic too. The source doesn't change the definition. I looked at Merriam- Webster just now. - they do have a different pronunciation - which I think is better.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Heron riding a kelp SUP with the tide while some sea lions are looking on.
SF

IMG_4762.jpeg

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Couple Loons out on the sound today. Probably a dozen total on this particular beach. Cool birds, love hearing their calls.
SF

IMG_4776.jpeg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Been meaning to get some pics or video of the crow migration in our neighborhood. Every evening like clockwork, crows start flying in en masse from the SW to a small area of large trees a few blocks east of us. I keep thinking it's just crows, no biggie, but it's really quite the spectacle. I tried counting for a few minutes and stopped at 87 because I couldn't keep up. This goes on for like a half hour. Easily a thousand if not thousands. Wife said, it's a "mass murder" of crows (good one). Is this a common thing?

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We have a group of crows in the Normandy Park / Burien area that head across the sound to Vashon Island to roost up for the night. Never counted them but there are quite a few.

It is a common thing. They like to roost in groups.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Same thing on the north end of Lk WA.
Crazy how many crows are flying through that area on my commute home.
SF

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
There is some interesting information for why crows have communal roosting outside of the breeding season here and here. In summary, a) exchange information on food resources, b) find mates, c) stay warmer in a group at night, and d) stay safer from predators in a group.
Steve

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Heron are such cool birds. I love watching them hunt. I saw this on YouTube awhile back. I had no idea that could or would eat such large food sources.
They must have some serious digestive juices.
SF