RIP Jimmy

Shad

Life of the Party
Jimmy Buffett was never my favorite, but damned if "Margaritaville" doesn't sound great aboard a boat in the tropics on a sunny day, EVERY time. Looking back, I have a lot of respect for his unique style of country-Caribbean. I don't think anyone ever sounded quite like him, and I regret never having seen him live with a tall, cool drink in my hand.

'Waste away' in peace, Jimmy!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Jimmy Buffett was never my favorite, but damned if "Margaritaville" doesn't sound great aboard a boat in the tropics on a sunny day, EVERY time. Looking back, I have a lot of respect for his unique style of country-Caribbean. I don't think anyone ever sounded quite like him, and I regret never having seen him live with a tall, cool drink in my hand.

'Waste away' in peace, Jimmy!
In same boat as you….But I actually lose the salt shaker from time to time in the kitchen. Evidently I have not learn the art of setting it back down in the same place every time. Maybe due to being to wasted away…. 😆

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Played golf with Jimmy and JD. Now both gone. This mortality thing bites again. I'll have to put on some old tunes tonight and have a cheeseburger and something made with tequila. Maybe make a few phone calls. RIP buddy.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Had dealings with him regarding his concerts in Vancouver, B.C. years ago.
They say its not proper to speak ill of the dead.
Did like his music.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
RIP Jimmy. I've loved his music (most of it anyway) since the first time I heard it. Never get tired of Margaritaville. Mrs. Salmo has Serius Margaritaville as here default radio station in her car. I read he was first diagnosed with skin cancer 4 years ago, and it developed into lymphoma. Fvck cancer.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Awww, real sorry to hear this. While I was never a "parrothead" in the fanclub concert event sort of way, I've found myself genuinely liking his music more and more as I stumbled into middle age.

Reactions: M_D

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Listened to him a bunch in the 70's, smokin' reefer w/ the Coral Reefer Band on the stereo just seemed like the thing to do. Tastes change, and sort of got away from his music before Margaritaville and that whole thing exploded, but enjoyed it for a while before that.

White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean...
:)

RIP

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I remember watching him and his crew play softball against the local radio DJs when they came through Denver back in the 70's. At least I think it was the '70s...

c2peak

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Damn. Born and raised in South FL and many trips to the Bahamas and the FL Keys, Jimmy was always on the playlist. Even got to see him in concert once. Still love many of his songs to this day. RIP Jimmy!

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
They say Jerry Jeff Walker took him to Key West in 1971, from Nashville, to busk on the street. In 1973 he was living and writing in Tom McGuane’s barn in Livingstone, and they made a tarpon fishing movie with Richard Brautigan and Jim Harrison later that year. Rancho Deluxe (…Ebert: I don't know how this movie went so disastrously wrong, but it did…”) is still the only movie I’ve ever known to feature fly tying, and The Dude ventilates a Caddy with a Sharps.

Every cowboy has a dream of having his own Rancho Deluxe. The only thing that’s different is how they go about getting it.- RD trailer

Tarpon movie
091F0EE4-1E8F-4C62-99E6-F38DE49B2FF0.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
They say Jerry Jeff Walker took him to Key West in 1971, from Nashville, to busk on the street. In 1973 he was living and writing in Tom McGuane’s barn in Livingstone, and they made a tarpon fishing movie with Richard Brautigan and Jim Harrison later that year. Rancho Deluxe (…Ebert: I don't know how this movie went so disastrously wrong, but it did…”) is still the only movie I’ve ever known to feature fly tying, and The Dude ventilates a Caddy with a Sharps.

Every cowboy has a dream of having his own Rancho Deluxe. The only thing that’s different is how they go about getting it.- RD trailer

Tarpon movie
View attachment 80632
Thanks for mentioning this. I read that they took the old Tarpon feature and cut it into this 34 minute short. I hope they release it widely eventually, as I’d like to see it!

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
From a comment in the NY Times about his passing. Says a good deal about his reach.

"Last night, in Milwaukee at the Brewers - Phillies game, between innings the song "Margaritaville" was played. The crowd spontaneously sang along, and it seemed like the game officials let it continue longer than the usually well-timed interludes that baseball now demands. They played nearly the whole song, and those who could, continued to sing it to its conclusion after the PA stopped. It was a fun moment. RIP Jimmy Buffet."

As a longtime resident of the Roaring Fork Valley and later the Lower Keys we thought he was ours. Guess he really was a part of much more than that.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
It’s funny because when I was growing it was all the parent’s playing Jimmy and the kids whining and wanting Nirvana and Alice In Chains and yesterday in memorial I put on some Jimmy and I was thinking, “This isn’t so bad.” I getting old. RIP!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jimmy was also an avid flyfisher and surfer who owned float planes he'd pilot himself, would load up with supplies and some friends and fly throughout the Carribean to ride waves and bend rods...here's a pic of his 'Hemisphere Dancer' nosed up on the beach for just that
1693859377865.png

Last edited: