What's Catching You Fish?

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Good eye. You’re half right. It has a foam diver head (and a rattle buried in there), but fished on a heavy sink tip it moves more erratically than your drunk uncle earl on thanksgiving right after the 2016 presidential election.
I'm familiar, I do well on westside bulls with a miyawaki popper on t14. On a 2 ft leader you can feel the tip ticking but the fly doesnt hang up, its 6" above the rocks.

Great catch man!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm familiar, I do well on westside bulls with a miyawaki popper on t14. On a 2 ft leader you can feel the tip ticking but the fly doesnt hang up, its 6" above the rocks.

Great catch man!
I keep meaning to try this after reading your experience. I also need to try the Miyawaki popper on just a straight up floating line in winter but it can be hard to branch out from old habits around what I’ve learned works for me.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I keep meaning to try this after reading your experience. I also need to try the Miyawaki popper on just a straight up floating line in winter but it can be hard to branch out from old habits around what I’ve learned works for me.
Did this during Springer season hoping for un upstairs bull but didnt hit. Still an awesome memory, tracking that fly as the solstice sun blinked away at 11, huge chinook rolling all around it.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I struggled netting this guy solo.
Turns out bullies eat smally flies. He did me a solid and spit the fly as soon as he hit the net.
Who am I kidding, of course they do.

View attachment 79420View attachment 79422View attachment 79421
Geez. All I can think when I look at this fish is “I want my mommy.” Months or years from now, this fish’s face is going to be the last thing you see, because it’s going to come into your house and murder you for revenge. This fish has a certain set of skills and a high body count.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
First hour or two were slow on the pond:View attachment 79382Then a wild hex hatch happened. Hex were every couple feet: View attachment 79387View attachment 79388The pond just boiled with fish coming up: View attachment 79386View attachment 79385I couldn't believe the giant crappie eating my popper. This was a first. View attachment 79384View attachment 79383Never seen anything like it. One hell of a hatch for a bass guy to experience😁

I didn't match it however. Just fished my tried and true yellow winged black bird: View attachment 79389
Fuck yes!

I knew I shoulda gone larger out on the tuna grounds (ever the contrarian) when @Nick Clayton was telling me to downsize my already tiny 4" fly...😆

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Live that little green bug. X-caddis?
Yeah!

a little shuck from FTD, keep it long, tie in some opal Mylar, the shuck basically comes out below the deer hair head adds a bit of bugginess. And then I tie my x caddis heads like Kelly Galloup. I love this fly, it just produces, even on picky spring creek fish.

I also have a version with a bit of foam for more freestone creeks

Reactions: BCO

Zak

Legend
Yeah!

a little shuck from FTD, keep it long, tie in some opal Mylar, the shuck basically comes out below the deer hair head adds a bit of bugginess. And then I tie my x caddis heads like Kelly Galloup. I love this fly, it just produces, even on picky spring creek fish.

I also have a version with a bit of foam for more freestone creeks
Love it, I will tie some up!