Republican Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Trying to figure out how to respond to this and maybe I just shouldn't.

I guess I'll say it this way. I was a progressive as a few here may be able attest too. I was an extreme environmentalist. Close all the hatcheries, stop all logging, and mining regardless of the consequences to the economy. That kind of thing... The lies I told about Bush 2 I am deeply ashamed of. Not because I think he was somehow a great president but because I said things about him out of my own anger. Things I had no way of knowing were true, but that I heard some place.
I am not a progressive any more, mostly because I hate being told how to live and I'm sorry but that is all I see from progressives.
Not with bad intentions, just they want the world to be a certain way and it's not so they seek change. The problem is half the country or more doesn't want those changes and thus it becomes tyrannical.
That is what I hate about how I used to be.
For me? I am opposed to ALL new laws, I am opposed to ALL tax and government service fee increases and opposed to everything that gives government more power.. I will vote for the candidate that convinces me that they are the closest to my views regardless of how they identify themselves politically. D R I. Doesn't matter. What's best for me is to keep the money I earn and keep the government out of my life as much as possible.

I hope I have written this tactfully. If not tell me to delete it and I will.
I thought this was really well said, Rob.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Ah, it was a Wednesday. I had the grandkids, so I'm sure we were watching Sponge Bob. And getting our legos ready for the fair, which I turned in today. Important stuff. Ours are on the white trays, and the small tractor and hay truck I did in back. View attachment 79207
Who lives in the ocean under the sea!!!????

Gosh I love sponge Bob with the kids. So good.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
There are a million places on the internet to talk about politics and culture wars. There are very few places where you can just connect with people over something you all enjoy.

I have zero interest in repeating the shitfest that political threads on a fishing forum turn into. I have even less interest in spending my vanishingly small amount of free time and energy running such a place.

Post about your lives, post about your kids, post about your fishing. Those are the important things. I give zero shits who you vote for.

Remember, nobody was ever convinced of anything by arguing about it on the internet.

Flymph

Steelhead
If you are/were a teacher or someone who has strong feelings about Climate Change you should definitely know how to vote in 2024! This debate should clear upl any doubts you might have previously had.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I’m a fiscally conservative, socially liberal moderate…probably a unicorn these days…
Talk about a unicorn, I wish there was a prerequisite for and a way to verify integrity and statesmanship for anyone desiring to hold public office.
...replace the electoral vote with the popular vote...
I'm not going to argue that a major reason for the POTUS election process outlined by the 68th essay of the Federalist Papers published on March 12, 1788 (and the subsequent Twelfth and Twentieth Amendments) was morally correct, but I do believe in the principle that the Union is strengthened when more populous states are not always able to subjugate the representation and needs of the people in less populated states that are dictated by their unique circumstances. Perhaps the qualities I mentioned above would help.

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Humans are an odd bunch.

If ya don't like the topic why would you make the effort to tell everyone you don't like the topic.

Its like seeing a sign on the road for teriyaki and pulling over to tell the owners and people inside you have no intentions of buying teriyaki.

JayB

Steelhead
Edited so as to not jump the gun, before mods chime in.

Are we able to talk about this?

I’m a progressive and I found it very interesting. Notably, that I was easily able to find significant common ground with half of the people on stage, which would seem unfathomable in our current climate. I know there are more than a few people here that would be very interested in being exposed to other people’s thoughts on the matter. We have a uniquely diverse group here. The thread will inevitably die, as always, but the cool headed folks will gain a lot of value from it before that. The mods have allowed it in the past.

Keep in mind, this was a republican debate. This thread doesn’t need to turn into a red vs. blue shit show.
On the four dimensional political-axis thingy (libertarian/authoritarian are on the Y axis and conservative/liberal are on the Y axis) I always wind up in the "Right Libertarian" quadrant (which has been interesting since I've gone to school, mostly hung-out with, lived and worked in environments that are overwhelmingly left/Progressive) I'll just chime in to say kudos to you for being civic-minded enough to listen to the debate, and open-minded enough to listen critically enough to "the other side" to sort through what you agree and disagree with.

SSPey

loco alto!
I watch debates to get a sense of candidates’ demeanors, and their ability/interest in answering actual questions posed to them (vs deflection and self-aggrandizement). I just loved the question about UFOs and that the answer actually ended with the word “UFOs.” I otherwise find the combat-soundbite format to be pretty weak in providing substantive policy insights.

RCF

Life of the Party
Not sure why we care about the Republican debate. The air got sucked out of room with today's events...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Think we're at a good spot to pull the plug. Civil discourse was had, and don't see it going much longer until things go the way they always do. Thanks for keeping it civil thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.