Body - Yellow floss
Thorax - Ostrich herl
Hackle - Yellow hen
Wing - Teal

Plummer (fabri-mouches.ca)

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
After dealing with the constant fouling of softer wing material on a traditional clouser this morning, I took a stab at a stringer style.
IMG_4367.jpeg

I used a Mustad 34007 for the shank with beadalon wire and a Gammy Octopus #1 trailer. I’m not wild about how the hook is oriented, that wire is pretty stiff and has a mind of its own. Next time will try Fireline or spider-wire I think.

The fly itself is white bucktail veiled with Polar Flash followed by pink Steve Farrar blend with a pink Angel Hair topping.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Trying out some ideas. Tapered zonker + stiff trailer for added movement instead of the usual hitched trailer with power pro. Excited to see them swim, hope they aren't fouling machines. Hid a bead in there as well.

Attachments

• 71436796589__3BFE307E-C920-444B-B8CA-C7D578824581.fullsizerender.jpg
    71436796589__3BFE307E-C920-444B-B8CA-C7D578824581.fullsizerender.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 71429279796__B492B9DC-6F7C-4B4E-9271-D2C2DED03B68.fullsizerender.jpg
    71429279796__B492B9DC-6F7C-4B4E-9271-D2C2DED03B68.fullsizerender.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 16

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Tied up some non-descript surf bugs to try here at Ocean Shores (disclaimer, fished on a spin rod behind a bullet weight).

Screenshot_20230823_171915_Gallery.jpg

What it didn't catch in numbers or size, it made up for in variety. Two surf perch, several sculpin, a small starry flounder, and a tomcod of all things.

Divad

Whitefish
After dealing with the constant fouling of softer wing material on a traditional clouser this morning, I took a stab at a stringer style.
View attachment 79019

I used a Mustad 34007 for the shank with beadalon wire and a Gammy Octopus #1 trailer. I’m not wild about how the hook is oriented, that wire is pretty stiff and has a mind of its own. Next time will try Fireline or spider-wire I think.

The fly itself is white bucktail veiled with Polar Flash followed by pink Steve Farrar blend with a pink Angel Hair topping.
Size ones are hard to keep hook point up, for stinger hooks oriented upward I tend to not go larger than a size 4. Or else it weighs too much and wobbles or tips downward. Fish don’t care though. Nice fly! Need to get some of that Farrar blend everybody likes.

Divad

Whitefish
Trying out some ideas. Tapered zonker + stiff trailer for added movement instead of the usual hitched trailer with power pro. Excited to see them swim, hope they aren't fouling machines. Hid a bead in there as well.
I don’t see too many zonkers with deer hair that is a unique touch. Talk about a lateral line teaser, that will surely make some noise 🤘

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Size ones are hard to keep hook point up, for stinger hooks oriented upward I tend to not go larger than a size 4. Or else it weighs too much and wobbles or tips downward. Fish don’t care though. Nice fly! Need to get some of that Farrar blend everybody likes.
Thanks good advice. I tried a second one using 50# spider wire and a #6 drop shot trailer hook and it looks a lot better.
IMG_4368.jpeg
This one is with the Finn raccoon again plus some flash. Hope to try it out tomorrow am.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
More of the same, these things have been lights out for me recently including today. A breeze to cast on the 6 weight, super fast tie.View attachment 79078

Those are great. I've had a lot of coho scenarios the last 10 days where those would be money.

I've been meaning to tie up something similar for a specific area where coho have been gorging on small sandlance lately, I've just been too lazy to put in any time at the vise.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Is those tied on SP11-3L3H hooks?
SF
Yes exactly, good eye. I had been tying them on the SS15 because I had some on hand but as you and others pointed out I did have some hook breakage and today an opened hook on what to date has been my biggest fish hooked by a wide margin. Swung by the shop and picked these up, liked the longer shank for this and a slightly bigger gap, #6.

The fish kicked my Ass but it sure was fun.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Bob-Lawrence-1080.jpg

Bob Lawrence

Hook – Mustad Heritage S82AP
Thread - Black
Tip - Silver tinsel
Tail - Scarlet
Rib - Silver tinsel
Body - Cinnamon dubbing
Hackle - Guinea fowl
Wing – Scarlet and jungle cock

Trout - Ray Bergman

Scottp

Legend
Shades of Orange Bumble

53137752117_151f309019_c.jpg

53138462289_0858d4f74b_c.jpg

53138348516_9c46022161_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 fire orange
tag - Orvis Saltwater Thread fluoro orange/resin
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub orange
hackle - grizzly dyed orange
1st shoulder - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
2nd shoulder - partridge dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Pink-Lady-1080.jpg

Pink Lady

Hook- Mustad S82AP
Thread - White and black
Tip - Gold tinsel
Tail - Ginger hackle
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Pink floss
Hackle - Ginger
Wings - Slate

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
One more for the humpy run, back to the craft fur and this time a really short body/tail to hopefully be less prone to fouling. Almost a crazy Charlie style.
IMG_4376.jpeg
I’m over wrapping the body / shank with a pale pink flat braid and topping the wing with Angel hair and cerise KF. Hook this time is #2 TMC811s.

Maybe try again tomorrow but the tides don’t look great at around sunrise. Hopefully the wind lays back down.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Union-1080.jpg

Union

Hook - Mustad Heritage S82AP
Thread - Black
Tail - Teal
Body - Unstripped brown condor*
Hackle - Grizzly
Wing - Teal

*Condor is illegal to possess. I used brown turkey