Tying desk clean up.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
it happens from time to time

DSCN1612.jpg

Shad

Life of the Party
Perfect timing... I was literally just thinking it was time to clean up the tying station. Thanks for the confirmation/inspiration... we'll see how long that lasts....

The thing that usually convinces me "it's time" is when I can't find a tool or material with a very specific purpose that I currently need met. When you actually start losing stuff you know you have, it's time. I reached that point weeks ago, and damned if the whole thing isn't still a mess, so it seems I'm getting even lazier, as if that were possible.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My tying desk has a center slide-out computor keyboard shelf that allows the "appearance" of a clean desk...
Out of sight, out of mind...
close enough !

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I see one vital tool missing...
View attachment 78747
Suck up a dozen completed flies by accident some time and you will understand why a vacuum and a tying bench are not a harmonious match. Instead get a cheap roll of 1'' masking tape and tear off pieces to pick up fluff and detritus. I have used the tape for over 30 years and never had it once snatch a completed fly or eat a valuable cape. And it's damned quiet too...

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Suck up a dozen completed flies by accident some time and you will understand why a vacuum and a tying bench are not a harmonious match. Instead get a cheap roll of 1'' masking tape and tear off pieces to pick up fluff and detritus. I have used the tape for over 30 years and never had it once snatch a completed fly or eat a valuable cape. And it's damned quiet too...
I use a lint roller, my hand vac blasts air out the back and blows the fluff everywhere. I also started keeping my vise in a shallow basket, which catches 90% of trimmings and feather fluff.

Tying on the dining room table necessitates such measures

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Never use mine on the desk, only the floor to pick up floaters..great tip on the masking tape...

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
So let me get this straight, when you're finished tying a fly, you just toss it on the desk with your random scraps? No wonder you don't like a vacuum.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
True this. I had to pick thru the little dust bin on the hand vac to retrieve a hackle and a couple flies

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Even when my desk is clean it's out of control. Been racking my brain all day on how to organize everything.
By type of material. By what type of flies they go into. By how much I use it.
I dunno.
Got another sizeable package coming from fly tiers dungeon today, and that officially has me busting at the seams for given storage infrastructure.
Rough life we live.

I have to make my wife a similar desk to the one I just made. Guess I can try to pirate that one also.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I also think there are impacts (in terms of 'mess control') in what your flyting habits happen to be. If you tie a bunch of different patterns during a tying session it means assembling a lot of different materials/tools, dealing with cleaning up the debris and attempting to get everything back into some sort of organized storage.

I should note that my storage is organized by type of material/tools not on what flies it's used for...for example, chenilles are all stored together, etc..

I've found that focusing on one (or at most two) patterns during a session means I can pull a far more limited set of tying materials out of storage, and once done easily get everything back where it belongs.

In addition I think it results in a far more uniform product during a session than jumping all over the place with different patterns. In my case maybe uniformly shitty, but the fish don't seem to care.

And finally... Bigger Bench = Bigger Mess

A large bench reinforces a habit of just leaving everything out 'until next time', which also constitutes an attraction for dermestid beetles and moths, as well as providing an opportunity to infect your larger stock of natural materials when you eventually reach critical bench mess and get up the gumption to do a big cleanup.

Last edited: