What's Catching You Fish?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
It's August, so time to bust out the muddler daddy's. Here's a muddled hare's ear daddy w/ partridge shoulder I tied up last winter.
20230808_HEMudlDaddy.jpg
The fish are really starting to show color and the "redband". This one ate first cast.
20230808_redband2.jpg
and I fished a Pat's 3' below it that got about 1/2 the fish.
20230808_pats.jpg
Found this scratcher in a parking area. Dave Hughe's recommends a muddler daddy in August. Really not a gamble fishin' one. Pretty sure I have a fishing problem, but it's better than the drinking option for me.
20230808_154338.jpg

Zak

Legend
It's August, so time to bust out the muddler daddy's. Here's a muddled hare's ear daddy w/ partridge shoulder I tied up last winter.
View attachment 76863
The fish are really starting to show color and the "redband". This one ate first cast.
View attachment 76864
View attachment 76865
Found this scratcher in a parking area. Dave Hughe's recommends a muddler daddy in August. Really not a gamble fishin' one. Pretty sure I have a fishing problem, but it's better than the drinking option for me.
View attachment 76866
Your Pat's sure is a close match for that stonefly!

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Your Pat's sure is a close match for that stonefly!
Thanks. I worked out that specific combo over several years, good year 'round. Rootbeer micro grizzly antenna, punkin' legs, blk round rubber tail, coffee/black chenille.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
View attachment 76863
View attachment 76864
View attachment 76865
View attachment 76866
Muddler daddy is fantastic idea. Buzzball/daddy (buzzcrane? buzzworm?) gets a big look from every fish, but too leggy for most. Need an upgrade but I think I’ll buy the pheasant legs pre-tied…

384DFDA8-2328-419B-BB35-DE8B4C0CEB00.jpeg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Muddler daddy is fantastic idea. Buzzball/daddy (buzzcrane? buzzworm?) gets a big look from every fish, but too leggy for most. Need an upgrade but I think I’ll buy the pheasant legs pre-tied…

View attachment 76962
I bought legs too, I'm just too uncoordinated to get 'em done. I too have noticed most of the smaller fish don't eat it.
After my stream sampling I tried a brown chan's micro leech yesterday also, and the little parr marked fish loved it, so I cut it off pretty quick. Didn't take them long to destroy the tail, little nippers.

Attachments

• 20230808_125756.jpg
    20230808_125756.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
A hare's ear version of Rob Denson's Crippler pattern style I tied up last winter was the best fly I fished today by far.
20230811_crippler.jpg

Attachments

• 20230811_cripplerfish.jpg
    20230811_cripplerfish.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
An olive Gartside Sparrow with a red ice dub collar worked well on a high-altitude lake in NE Oregon. The stocked “trophy” rainbows loved the fly. As it was fished and chewed on by the trout, the red dubbing blended in with the olive (upper fly in the photo). Sometimes they would take it deep with a sink 5 line but more often they would follow it up as I stripped in the line. Once I felt a couple of plucks or tugs, I would stop the retrieve for a few seconds. When I resumed stripping they would hit the fly with a viscous take. I didn’t try the natural pattern because the olive worked so well. Going to include this fly pattern in my lake boxes. I originally tied it for the trout Spey rod.

IMG_2562.jpeg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I must admit, I've been a bit jealous, envious? , of the salmon from puget sound. Not in a bad way, maybe not the right words, but it sure looks fun. I was reading @rotato 's small creek post before I was headed out this morning, and reminded myself how luck I am to be able to do the stream fishing I love most so often. This was today's best three, a muddled daddy, hares ear, and diving caddis swinging on point.
20230823_flies.jpg
The muddler daddy was really good. Every once in awhile there is tangle. Cut the flies, tie on a backup leader to the ring, retie flies, and good to go in minutes.
20230823_tangle.jpg
I do love small streams
20230823_jam.jpg
And the redbands do like a hare's ear softhackle.
20230823_hefish.jpg
And today there was some cleanup to do on the way out, homage to @Stonedfish and puget sound. Rod sock to go with the 3 sections I found a while back?
20230823_trash.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I must admit, I've been a bit jealous, envious? , of the salmon from puget sound. Not in a bad way, maybe not the right words, but it sure looks fun. I was reading @rotato 's small creek post before I was headed out this morning, and reminded myself how luck I am to be able to do the stream fishing I love most so often. This was today's best three, a muddled daddy, hares ear, and diving caddis swinging on point.
View attachment 79023
The muddler daddy was really good. Every once in awhile there is tangle. Cut the flies, tie on a backup leader to the ring, retie flies, and good to go in minutes.
View attachment 79026
I do love small streams
View attachment 79027
And the redbands do like a hare's ear softhackle.
View attachment 79028
And today there was some cleanup to do on the way out, homage to @Stonedfish and puget sound. Rod sock to go with the 3 sections I found a while back?
View attachment 79031

@Tom Butler
Thanks for your efforts!
SF

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
First hour or two were slow on the pond:1000005985-01.jpegThen a wild hex hatch happened. Hex were every couple feet: 1000006006-01.jpeg1000006005-01.jpegThe pond just boiled with fish coming up: 1000005989-01.jpeg1000005991-01.jpegI couldn't believe the giant crappie eating my popper. This was a first. 1000005999-01.jpeg1000005993-01.jpegNever seen anything like it. One hell of a hatch for a bass guy to experience😁

I didn't match it however. Just fished my tried and true yellow winged black bird: 20230814_080618-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did you ever have a day when one particular fly, not a pattern - but one individual fly, drove the fish nuts even after the fly was reduced to just scraps of trash? On smoke-shrouded lake where visibility was sometimes less than a hundred yards this fly produced lots of rainbows.

D871FFC5-1558-44B4-8044-EC6458CBD22C.jpeg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
This well chewed balanced leech brought 8 fish to the boat at Crane Prairie yesterday, including a coupla huskies.
Tip on fishing CP..always check Windy.com...if wind will be coming from the north, launch from Quinn side..if from the south, launch at the Resort side
IMG_20230826_072257819_HDR (1).jpg