What is this?

Zak

Legend
I'm having a little trouble getting my head around not recognizing a cricket. They are all over the place in New England. Are they rarer out here?

RCF

Life of the Party
I'm having a little trouble getting my head around not recognizing a cricket. They are all over the place in New England. Are they rarer out here?
When was the last time you heard a cricket in the PNW? There in lies your answer.

Heard lots of them when I lived in the South.

Reactions: Zak

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Conscience

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Same here Zak. I thought the original post was a joke.

I never noticed the lack of crickets here but I sure do miss the lightning bugs.

Zak

Legend
Same here Zak. I thought the original post was a joke.

I never noticed the lack of crickets here but I sure do miss the lightning bugs.
Me too! I haven't seen a lightning bug since Vermont! Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've heard a cricket here.

Zak

Legend
Me too! I haven't seen a lightning bug since Vermont! Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've heard a cricket here.
My wife had crickets in Oregon and my son heard a cricket stuck in a wall in Duvall. So that's two data points.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I'm listening to a chorus right now, even through the closed window. We always have crickets late summer here. 25 miles west of Portland. Ours look more like this though, not like the pet store crickets.
A0GQT08QLSLKDK7K1KLKNK0KWKPQA02QV08QNKQKPKHKAK5KVKVQAKHK2KGQ105QC0AQHSIK307KRSNQCKVQY0AQOK.jpg

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Central Oregon has Crickets and very few of those Katydids.

Love listening to the crickets on the Lower Deschutes.

Fireflies......brings back so many happy summer memories.

Have a good weekend all.

Bob

Zak

Legend
If you put two of them in a bowl they will fight and you can bet on them. Some people keep champion fighting crickets in ornate little cages.