What's in your vise?

CDone

Smolt
Thanks, I welcome the suggestions! The first iterations I tied up and fished I looped using a coated wire, can't remember which brand and I had some skinning or delaminating of coating, probably hitting beach on backcast when tired, as well as what seemed to me some bending/memory on underlying wire. Issues to be concerned about or not so much? Since I'm still in the learning exploration phase of these patterns I thought I'd goof around with some scrap Lazar line (40lb running line) I had laying around and liked the color.

What material do you like (and the group) for looping stingers, in saltwater?
I have been using Beadalon wire for years.( 30ft .018in. 19 strand coated stainless steel). Stiff enough to prevent fouling, flexible enough to easily change out a hook if needed. And cheap compared to Senyo's

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm embarrassed to show this along side these works of art. I can't cast this 1.25oz "tube fly" with any of my fly rods so it will be trolled. Hopefully Charlie will approve. I will try a black and purple next.

View attachment 78346
Nah, go to a crowded beach and start Belgian casting. Not only will you find you can get it out there a good ways, but you’ll also find the crowd dies down.

Scottp

Legend
Pheasant Bits Quigley Cripple

53127458575_9705895a25_c.jpg

53127530523_a8c0701780_c.jpg

53127530518_0a9e954489_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 3 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
shuck - Ice Dub pheasant tail
tail - pheasant rump
abdomen- H2O Twist tan (doubled/twisted)
thorax - Ice Dub pheasant tail
hackle - dark ginger/grizzly
wing pad/wing - deer hair

Regards,
Scott