What's in your vise?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thanks, I welcome the suggestions! The first iterations I tied up and fished I looped using a coated wire, can't remember which brand and I had some skinning or delaminating of coating, probably hitting beach on backcast when tired, as well as what seemed to me some bending/memory on underlying wire. Issues to be concerned about or not so much? Since I'm still in the learning exploration phase of these patterns I thought I'd goof around with some scrap Lazar line (40lb running line) I had laying around and liked the color.

What material do you like (and the group) for looping stingers, in saltwater?

Power Pro or Fireline.
I had the same results you did with wire. Not good on the beaches. Poor durability.
SF

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Golie-B-1080.jpg

Golie B

Wally Harris

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tag - Flat gold tinsel and yellow floss
Tail - Golden pheasant crest
Butt - Red ultra-fine micro chenille
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Gold floss
Throat - Olive hackle fibers
Wing - Pine squirrel* over gold krystal flash

*I used red fox squirrel

Fly Patterns of Canada - Paul C Marriner

RichS

Life of the Party
A cross between Jim Stewarts Lucky Wiggler and a semi-original style Dahlberg Diver. I have had good luck on a Lucky Wiggler lately and remember lots of smallmouth with early divers on the Saco River in Maine many years ago.
IMG_2044.jpeg

Hook: B10S #1/0
Tail: gold Northern Light from FTD, grizzly and yellow bird fur
Body: green and chartreuse deer over yellow deer
Nose: red deer
Legs: green/black crazy legs
Eyes: 7 mm
Total length 4 3/4 inches.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Got lots of variants, but needed a full set of standards. Sz. 8 and as usual a GOLD bead. 8-14's.20230817_112945.jpg20230817_113158.jpg
A little sloppy shit, I mean shuck, on the top one. I don't see that when I'm tying. Fish don't seem to mind I'm not perfect.

Last edited:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
A cross between Jim Stewarts Lucky Wiggler and a semi-original style Dahlberg Diver. I have had good luck on a Lucky Wiggler lately and remember lots of smallmouth with early divers on the Saco River in Maine many years ago.
View attachment 78195

Hook: B10S #1/0
Tail: gold Northern Light from FTD, grizzly and yellow bird fur
Body: green and chartreuse deer over yellow deer
Nose: red deer
Legs: green/black crazy legs
Eyes: 7 mm
Total length 4 3/4 inches.
Very cool Rich!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
What material do you like (and the group) for looping stingers, in saltwater?

I've used nothing but 30lb Fireline for many years. It's limper than wire, so is likely to foul here and there for sure, but I swear by the stuff personally. Never once had a fish break it, and as Brian mentioned the ability to change out hooks is pretty nice.

I'm not a big believer that having the hook be held perfectly in line by a stiffer material really leads to more hookups anyway, so I'm fine using limper materials, but that's just me. Confidence is key as with most things out there, and for me I have full confidence in Fireline and if it ain't broke I sure the hell ain't gonna fix it.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The fish will be the deciding factor. But on my pheasant kick. Tied a marabou tail and body, with a soft hackle head. Then did a dense multi feather soft hackle fly second.
Honest first take? is this a dumb pattern? Not sure what it mimics. But honestly I'm not sure what alot of soft hackle Flys mimick. But I like the look of em.

20230817_202026.jpg20230817_202009.jpg