What's in your vise?

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
If I decide to brave the heat and the crowds to do battle with the pinks I’ll be throwing one of these.IMG_4346.jpeg
The venerable pink over white craft fur clouser that I used to use when I chased the pinks regularly. Hook is a #4 TMC 811S with 5/32 Real Eyes.

I still suck at photographing flies in the vise.🤔

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
I rarely get to fish the Sound but looks good to me. Also looks like a good jetty fly, or even a good tuna pattern. What hook?
Thanks. Funny you should mention tuna - it is based on one of Nick's tuna patterns. I have been tying it in different colors on a size 1 gama bait hook for tuna. This one is on a size 4 Loop tube fly hook. I bought a couple packs to hit a free shipping limit and am very pleased with them. One tuna version is white/chartruese/blue and othe other:

Attachments

• 20230725_174255.jpg
    20230725_174255.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 13

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
My buddy @Engee went up to a well known BC lake this spring, after a slow start he had some superb chironomid fishing. Long leaded, no bobber and what the DA (at first) called a cucumber midge. That same fly, more well known as a zucchini midge, produced fish for me on Leighton Lake. Bobber down.

IMG_2799.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Just a suggestion if I may. Consider using a loop rather than snelling the stinger hook. That way if the hook gets dinged you can change it and don’t have to toss an otherwise perfectly good fly with lots of fishing life left in it.
SF

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Thanks, I welcome the suggestions! The first iterations I tied up and fished I looped using a coated wire, can't remember which brand and I had some skinning or delaminating of coating, probably hitting beach on backcast when tired, as well as what seemed to me some bending/memory on underlying wire. Issues to be concerned about or not so much? Since I'm still in the learning exploration phase of these patterns I thought I'd goof around with some scrap Lazar line (40lb running line) I had laying around and liked the color.

What material do you like (and the group) for looping stingers, in saltwater?

Scottp

Legend
Muddled Shades of Green

53121595771_ab6319a8c1_c.jpg

53121796094_90a9f9dc9c_c.jpg

53122001315_1f17a48f61_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 chartreuse
tail - pheasant neck feather dyed olive
rib - small wire olive
body - H2O Twist tan (doubled)
hackle - dark ginger/olive
shoulder - sharptail grouse dyed chartreuse (1 Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)
collar/head - caribou hair dyed chartreuse

Regards,
Scott