Hunting pictures

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Wow that is such a cool photo, especially with the peak in the background. Would be cool to see it “colorized”. It’s reminiscent of the old Remington or Winchester ads back in the day.

What year would that have been (if you don’t mind sharing)?

Thanks, Andy

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Wow that is such a cool photo, especially with the peak in the background. Would be cool to see it “colorized”. It’s reminiscent of the old Remington or Winchester ads back in the day.

What year would that have been (if you don’t mind sharing)?

Thanks, Andy
Thank you Merle, it was a special day that’s etched in my memory. It was 1967.
Rifle was a lever action 300 Savage, which I still own.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
My early hunting history was focused on waterfowl and upland birds, oh, and doves. I shot my first deer at age 32, a small fork horn coastal Georgia whitetail(photos long lost). About 20 more whitetails followed, two trophies (no photos). Circumstances put me in Alberta hunting moose, something I never dreamed. Took a meat moose one year, a trophy bull the next.

Then the real magic happened. The trips to South Africa and Zimbabwe blossomed and this former Yakima small town kid went big time, ultimately hunting dangerous game With a dagga boy Cape buffalo dropped with one shoot and into the skinning shed. In total, I collected 15 Africa trophies and that brought my 60 years of hunting in four countries to an end.

I could not understand how it all unfolded until I realized that the guidebook that got me through some bad times was the source. I unconsciously followed the author, Robert Ruark, in his journey starting with his book ”The Old Man and the Boy”. I never had a mentor that he had so I guess his book was the guide that planted the seeds. His later books on hunting Africa obviously contributed to my path later on in my early 60’s. It was all beyond any dream I ever had. I am so grateful for the opportunity and for God giving me the courage to take the risks. Unbelievable.
IMG_0677.jpegIMG_3344-1.jpegIMG_3887.jpeg

Last edited: