What's in your vise?

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
That gives me an idea…

Store bought shrimp/prawns, soaked in shrimp oil…add an orange corky above the hook n shrimp. 😉
When I’ve had to fish gear on the coast out here I’ve done well with orange flies soaked in sand shrimp juice. I’ve done well without the juice too. Rig up the standard way for gear and you should be in business. No bait changing required.

Zak

Legend
I had a bunch of woodchuck underfur from the Ausable Bomber tails, so I chopped it up as body dubbing in this Vermont Caddis. Mixed brown and grizzly hackle, Danville 6/0 in olive, Orvis 2BCH size 12. This fly fishes well dry or wet, often both on the same cast.🙂PXL_20230729_045932256.jpg

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Replacement black stimulators on sz. 8 200r's.
View attachment 75018
Seems when the wings and tails go the fish loose Interest.
View attachment 75019
Try using a tiny dot of super glue on your thread as you make your wraps it will soak in all around the wing and lock it in. Might still loose some to cutting by teeth but should at least extend the life. Awesome looking ties Tom

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Try using a tiny dot of super glue on your thread as you make your wraps it will soak in all around the wing and lock it in. Might still loose some to cutting by teeth but should at least extend the life. Awesome looking ties Tom
Thx. Mostly chewed off. I see in the photo's I had one soft loop over the tail tie in each time yesterday, didn't bring it forward from the red tag. I'm pretty sure it's all secure, the tail goes all the way to the wing, but the adhesive would make sure and cover the technical issues!

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Penoby-Joe-1080.jpg

Penoby Joe

Charlie Caron

Hook - Single salmon
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Robin egg blue floss. The first quarter is separated by a butt of peacock herl
Throat - Sparse bunch of black hair, applied as a beard and extending almost to the butt
Wing - Green hair extending to the barb of the hook

Fishing Atlantic Salmon - The Flies and the Patterns - Joseph D Bates Jr & Pamela Bates Richards

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Anniversary-Fly-1080.jpg

Anniversary Fly

Jean R Guerin - 1978

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tag - Oval silver tinsel and red fluorescent wool
Tail - Colden pheasant crest
Butt - Black ostrich herl
Ribbing - Flat silver tinsel
Body - Black floss
Hackle - Hot orange
Wing - Red squirrel tail

Fishing Atlantic Salmon - The Flies and the Patterns - Joseph D Bates Jr & Pamela Bates Richards

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
Thx. Mostly chewed off. I see in the photo's I had one soft loop over the tail tie in each time yesterday, didn't bring it forward from the red tag. I'm pretty sure it's all secure, the tail goes all the way to the wing, but the adhesive would make sure and cover the technical issues!
I forget what a catching machine you are with two and three on at a time! Of course they're chewed up.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I forget what a catching machine you are with two and three on at a time! Of course they're chewed up.
Still got thinking about material security, and at some point I pretty much stopped half hitching after each material placement too. My flies are not falling apart, but they are not going to catch fish if they don't hold together.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Pinkent-2-1080.jpg

Pinkent

Bob Ent

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Tag - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Rear half - fluorescent pink wool; front half - bronze peacock herl
Wing - Gray squirrel tail
Hackle - 1 orange and 1 yellow hen hackle

Fishing Atlantic Salmon - The Flies & the Patterns - Joseph D Bates Jr & Pamela Bates Richards