What's in your vise?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I know you spend more time swimming these than I, so I appreciate the thoughts.
I anticipate that a heavy hook behind a light shank will turn on the pause, but if it is being trolled I just want it to boogie and swim.
The guide said the flies were tied with 2 hooks ($300 for 4!) I am not a big fan of trailers…
Do you wire/heavy mono the shank to rear of the hook of hook? Beads?
oh sorry, I tie a shank onto the shank of the hook then shanks after that. It'll never wear out. no beads, & no extra weight.

I actually quoted this again to comment on that cost! damn, $300 for 4? I guess I should start charging more....lol. although, I rarely tie anything much larger than 8-9".

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
agreed. I have Copics for a handful of base colors (they really are better), but then a large set of Caliart, which still hold their color better than any Sharpie you can find.

So are you guys coloring the hair before tying in?
Or just running the marker over it after tying in? Seems it might be hard to get good coverage with it splayed.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
As you tie in. Just be ready to get it on your fingers or wear nitrile gloves. Once you do it a time or two you'll figure out the best method for you.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
So are you guys coloring the hair before tying in?
Or just running the marker over it after tying in? Seems it might be hard to get good coverage with it splayed.
Also, start with lighter colors and move to dark. You can always go darker but NOT lighter.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
20230718_111657.jpg

Your standard Bunny Leech. I tie in lead wire along the bottom of the shank and add a pheasant neck collar. I make them with a double tail turned sideways. I use these for trolling between anchor spots with my type 5 sink line. I use a wiggle fin in front and have them pre- made up with a micro swivel and 2 ft. of leader. I just attach them to my tippet ring and go. Ive used all sorts of different combos, but the yellow one with orange tips is the best one by far...

Scottp

Legend
TPS

53055936653_deaa510911_c.jpg

53055833760_f69d62ab05_c.jpg

53054869732_58ca98e4ea_c.jpg

Two Pheasant Softhackle; guys in front, ladies in the back. Design by Lundberg; yeaahhhh.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 rusty dun
tail - hen pheasant body
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear grey
hackle - cree
shoulder - pheasant rump

Regards,
Scott

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
TPS

53055936653_deaa510911_c.jpg

53055833760_f69d62ab05_c.jpg

53054869732_58ca98e4ea_c.jpg

Two Pheasant Softhackle; guys in front, ladies in the back. Design by Lundberg; yeaahhhh.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 rusty dun
tail - hen pheasant body
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear grey
hackle - cree
shoulder - pheasant rump

Regards,
Scott
I really like this. Hang on to the rod with this one.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
But what if that tiger speaks Spanish? Or Chinook Jargon?
They don't....I asked. In English.

Maybe to cover all the bases, I should put it in a different language on each side.