Good Clean Fun.

I used to live an hour outside portland and used to go creekin' during the summer 3 or 4 nights a week. It was great—a single fly box, a short 3 wt and some sandals or wading boots. I've really missed it since I moved back to the city. I recently picked up a new/old glass rod as part of my "fishing closer to home" game I'm working on. This particular creek was exactly 50 minutes from my house and god damn did I have a good time.

Nothing was caught that was over 6" but they were all where they were supposed to be and this 7' 3wt glass rod was just such a joy to catch. As Katzutomo Ijuin (the rod's designer) says about this rod "Don't strain yourself. Don't hurry. Slow and soft presentation. Let's have fun to meet a good fish." All fish were caught on this single size 14 Butch Caddis.

I did at one point spook a significantly larger fish, in the 18-20" class but I let it be.
IMG-7303.jpgIMG-7304.jpgIMG-7306.jpgIMG-7308.jpg

Last edited:

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
As Katzutomo Ijuin (the rod's designer) says about this rod "Don't strain yourself. Don't hurry. Slow and soft presentation. Let's have fun to meet a good fish."
Sounds like a borderline spiritual fly rod. Sweet!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sounds like a borderline spiritual fly rod. Sweet!
This is from the rod makers site. It’s translated so a bit funky..

"Rod with the minimum necessary power"

"I want to make a rod that I think is really fun!" I thought so, so I made it.

"One of them according to the image! Enjoy it to the fullest!" A rod with the minimum power required for the concept has been completed. Good omission from bat to tip and line turn performance! Once I shook it, it became an unforgettable and fun rod.

The blank is an image of a little dark green mugwobbling on the young grass in early spring! The grip is a unique Japanese candle shape designed from a Japanese candle. The reel seat used camphor. Rod action depends on the length. Slow and full-flex 7ft best represents the concept of mugwort.”

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's a shame so few seem to know the joys of catching tiny fish on a tiny rod. It is just a hoot. And also helpful in learning to read water as small water is just a microcosm of bigger water. Great to see a spot that you think should hold a fish and find a fish in that spot.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
It's a shame so few seem to know the joys of catching tiny fish on a tiny rod. It is just a hoot. And also helpful in learning to read water as small water is just a microcosm of bigger water. Great to see a spot that you think should hold a fish and find a fish in that spot.

This John Gierach quote always resonated with me

“Maybe your stature as a fly fisherman isn't determined by how big a trout you can catch, but by how small a trout you can catch without being disappointed.”

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I need to go creekin’ with my 7’6” 2 wt. It has “minimum power.” I know a gem of a creek about 50 minutes away with fish that ought to be looking up. Thanks for the inspiration for the weekend.

Florida Man

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sweet looking setup. That blank is beautiful. Shame you didn't get to tangle with the 18-20" fish. Guess that means that you have to go back.