May tying contest and April results

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Yeah, MCM can tie a fly. Quite the comedian as well.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve honestly never had the pleasure of fishing a green drake hatch. I’ve usually avoided the metolius during June (yes I know they’re on other rivers too). And yes, I know they hatch in September too.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’ve honestly never had the pleasure of fishing a green drake hatch. I’ve usually avoided the metolius during June (yes I know they’re on other rivers too). And yes, I know they hatch in September too.
I hit a green drake hatch on the d about this time of year. It was pretty awesome

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I absolutely love Green Drakes. My locals have a really good hatch, and if you know where to go you can find hatches if them for most of the summer. They start at low elevation in mid - late June (depending on weather and flows), and then they start hatching up the tributaries in early - late July. If you get up real high elevation, you can find them hatching through most of August. I've actually spent the last couple years kind of chasing them "up the mountain", as you can find larger fish that key on them in creeks where you might usually only find 6 - 12" fish.

This first fly I created to solve some problems (at least problems that I was having). The problem was that most hook shanks aren't long enough to accurately imitate the size of the Green Drake body. This had been solved with extended deer hair bodies, but I found after a fish or two, or too many drifts without a fish, those flies rode too low in the water and often sunk. So, I swapped out the extended deer body for an extended foam body. So, this fly solved my problems. It floats well even after a few fish, and forever if you don't catch any, haha! It's easy to see, and you can even throw a little soft hackle or small beadhead behind it if you want to fish dry dropper. Additionally, it is super durable. This is the only dry Green Drake I tie and carry in my boxes, as I've never had a situation where a different pattern was needed, or was able to fool fish that this one wasn't.
fotor_2023-5-9_15_2_16 - edit 1.jpg
fotor_2023-5-9_15_4_16 - edit 1.jpg
fotor_2023-5-9_15_3_18 - edit 1.jpg
fotor_2023-5-9_15_6_9 - edit 1 (1).jpg

For nymphs, I really like the Brooks Green Drake. You can add a beadhead if needed to help get it down, and I've done really well with that pattern. Mercer's poxyback Green Drake has also worked pretty well for me. But, I like to play at the vice, and after some success with a small Golden Stone nymph I tied in what I like to call "scorpion style", I thought I would try a Green Drake Nymph in the same style. It has produced very well for me. I don't know if it does any better or worse than the other two bugs I mentioned, but I like fishing my own patterns, so it sees a good amount of water time.
fotor_2023-5-9_14_58_57 - edit 1.jpg
fotor_2023-5-9_15_0_11 - edit 1.jpg
fotor_2023-5-9_15_1_12 - edit 1.jpg

Heading to Fernie, BC in August, so happened to be tying these up right now. Some of the rivers I fish at higher elevation have pretty awesome Green Drake hatches that time of year. Haven't been since just before Covid, so really looking forward to getting back up there and throwing some of these bugs!

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Sorry that I broke the monthly tying contest. Let's just go with post whatever you are proud of.
I have not submitted just because I have never seen them, never tied them or fished one. I was following along hoping to learn something.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sorry that I broke the monthly tying contest. Let's just go with post whatever you are proud of.
I think the weather may have broken it. I certainly haven’t been tying much. And I’ve even got a trip next month targeting a green drake hatch.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have not submitted just because I have never seen them, never tied them or fished one. I was following along hoping to learn something.
I’ll post a couple, then. Not that I’d win, but for the morale support.