Got any bird pics?

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Quite an uncommon site in western WA, Cinnamon teal pair. Had 2 pairs here near the coast. Crazy red eyes on the drakes.

Golden-crowned sparrow and Fox sparrow yardbirds

Female Bald eagle drying off. Can see her brooding patch for egg warming exposed

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Friend of mine shamed me into going with her to saltwater areas to look for shorebirds. I have been healing my achilles but apparently that excuse ran its course.
I guess the prospect of birds of prey was enough to get me out. Glad we went ! Tough time to be a shorebird. Merlin nabbed what is likely a Dunlin out front, then a Bald Eagle was picking off injured or dying birds. Not sure why it dropped that bird.

The numbers were pretty good. Not peak. I am not great on salty ID's but know we had some good views of smaller numbers of Red Knots and Ruddy Turnstones to go with big numbers of Dunlin, assorted plovers with many others, and of course, birds of prey.

One guy was hardcore out there. He spent an hour or more laying down in the wet sand waiting for the tide to rise and move the birds closer.. The birds did move quite close to him. He actually had birds closer behind his as well!

Last edited:

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
One guy was hardcore out there. He spent an hour or more laying down in the wet sand waiting for the tide to rise and move the birds closer..

Fishing: "what rock do you stand on"
Birding: "which muck is the best to lie in?"

tips on where to see Merlin? don't think I have ever seen one

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Fishing: "what rock do you stand on"
Birding: "which muck is the best to lie in?"

tips on where to see Merlin? don't think I have ever seen one
That mucker made me rethink if I was an actual birder at all, or if I ever had it in me to be one ! : )

@Scott Salzer has great advice. For these 3 weeks or so, lots of raptors will be in the mix with the ballooning numbers of shorebirds. I assume Puget Sound must have far increased numbers this time of year as well. I was on the opposite side of Bowerman, at bottle-beach.
I had a Merlin at the farm here upriver about 25 miles from that salty spot this week. They are hit and miss birds. Just a tad larger than a kestrel, but more bulk. Often I think people think they have a sharp-shinned in view when it might be a Merlin-although any neighborhood bird is almost positively a sharpie or cooper's. Open space and over water-likely a Merlin. Tail length/pattern helps in ID for me.

Merlins are not sneaky tree/foresty birds like the accipiters.

The Merlin thinks it is a Peregrine falcon and cannot be convinced otherwise-complete with bullying attitude.

Merlin below at about 150 yards. Nice mustache !

size of Merlin (L) compared to a A.kestrel (R) on perch. Far right: Attitude of a small killer.

Last edited:

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have been fortunate to see a couple of merlin and peregrine kills. One of the peregrine kills was on Cano Island in Costa Rica. The falcon hit a swift that tumbled through the air and the falcon made a U-turn and got it before it hit the ground. Another one was down in the Kent valley that hit a ring-necked duck. Cool stuff!

Another place to see them is at Dry Falls. You may actually hear the stoop before you see the bird. They nest up in the basalt cliffs.

tkww

Steelhead
It's late in the mating season and they're starting to chase each other around. Most of the females are gone, which I take to mean they're brooding. But I'm always amazed how how close they can fly to each other and copy each others' flight paths. Also, I think this is the first time I've ever seen a banded bird.
156-050523.jpg
158-050523.jpg

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
About a week ago this rarity showed up on the WA coast for less than a day and a half it appears. I was lucky enough to be talked into my first bird chase to try and catch it. Found it plus the Sun ! Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. Magnificent bird to watch for 45 minutes feeding acrobatically.

Normally a bird of Texas/Kansas/Oklahoma. A true top 10 bird in the US that I have wanted to see.

Last edited: