What's in your vise?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
That looks like a great carp fly. If you are willing to share could you tell me what material that body is made from? And what chenille is used for the tail? My pink chenille looks a bit bright when I tie this pattern and yours looks just right. It all goes really well together. Thanks!
Ultra chenille, worm brown; under body of tan midge flat braid, touching wraps full length of hook shank to the Chicones stealth bead chain in olive brown; wrap over the flat braid with med d-rib in tan; collar is ep 1” tarantula brush in brown/tan…size 6 tmc 811s hook…

I also tied one with tan chenille, pearl flat braid, pink d-rib and tan 1” ep tarantula brush
782537B4-FD3C-4055-A7F8-403D129CDFDE.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I can’t remember who posted these a while ago, but I decided to try my hand at these melted-tubing and squashed-mono damsel flies. Thanks, whomever you are, for the fun pattern. Melting stuff and playing with fire never gets old.

View attachment 62401
View attachment 62402
View attachment 62406
Edit: Also, for anyone wanting to look up reference photos, never ever do an image search for “damselfly nymph” without safe search being aaaalll the way on. Apparently “moderate” doesn’t cut it and some things you can’t unsee.

Reminds me of the time I searched up “red-headed triple teaser” (old spinning lure from when I was a kid)…on the computer that was hooked up to the fishing club’s projector.
You're welcome :) those look awesome, what size hooks did you use?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
You're welcome :) those look awesome, what size hooks did you use?
14s. Not sure the brand. I think I inherited them from somewhere.

And, thanks again!

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Maine-Jungle-1080.jpg

Maine Jungle

Tail - Brown mallard
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Claret dubbing
Hackle - Brown
Wing - Brown mallard

The Fisherman's Handbook of Trout Flies - Donald DuBois

Scottp

Legend
Black & Gold Muddler

52829887794_60167a261d_c.jpg

52829889969_cd009980b7_c.jpg

52830151353_1951313d37_c.jpg

Pretty much a Kate McLaren variation.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tail - yarn gold
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub black
hackle - dark ginger/black
1st shoulder - chukar dyed Golden Olive (2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Camel/2 cups water)
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
From bottom to top:

Jerk, Glide, Super Glide (still working on the whole silicone thing and getting to behave appropriately)

PXL_20230421_152650705~2.jpg

I've already posted the two gliders, but I figured I needed a jerk to go with them so I whipped that one up this morning....not the best aesthetically (I think I need to brush it out a little more), but it'll do what I tell it.

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
love that color scheme...you had me fooled with the photo on IG, I thought that thing was in that 8-9" range!

what are you using for the head, strung fuzzy fiber?
I almost used black strung fuzzy fiber but took a shortcut with EP brush instead. It's finer more tapered fibers that make a better transition on smaller flies IMHO.

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Golden Shrimp

52834925198_6d1e86e1b4_c.jpg

52834467501_4dc9033216_c.jpg

52833900267_2dcc52039c_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
butt/body - Ice Dub orange
tail - golden pheasant body feather red
rib - small wire gold
hackle - dark ginger
1st shoulder - dyed Golden Olive (2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Camel/2 cups water)
2nd shoulder - pheasant rump

Regards,
Scott
Damn that looks tasty