What's in your vise?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
another try with a silicone covered head (not to be confused with a solid silicone head). I went with a non-toxic (or less toxic) aquarium sealant rather than the marine goop (super nasty stuff before it dries) that Joe Goodspeed uses on his.

PXL_20230418_163328942~2.jpg

PXL_20230418_163310179~2.jpg

Scottp

Legend
I've experimented with bleaching materials a bit using these products and gotten these results...
View attachment 62213
As you can see, everything I've done ends up with a rusty red-blond color or tint....some more than others.

If you get different results....wanna share the info?

Mike d

Mike,

Those are nice; what amounts of peroxide & ammonia did you use and how long did you let it stew? I have some of that Clarol whitener but haven’t tried it yet; were you happy with the results?
I add 1 part 20 volume hydrogen peroxide, 2 parts clear ammonia and let it sit for a couple hours in a covered 3lb coffee can.

I’ve been happy with the results on pheasant

51672954106_b16a0876bb_c.jpg

51673322673_f5d7d96291_c.jpg

Bleaching a rump patch gives you the bonus of the aftershafts; used for the thorax here

51673628654_bb8b7db993_c.jpg

51673193338_1d1845a0b0_c.jpg

51672149637_5a422ce192_c.jpg

Mixed results on ungulate hair. The deer hair turns out okay but it’s not nearly as light as the pros get it; dyes wel, though. Moose body turns a nice, rich brown and I really like it for tailing

46706013425_a0f898e18c_c.jpg

I need to bleach some moose mane - probably make for some mean ginger quill-ish bodies.

Regards,
Scott

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
we'll see once I swim it. Last time I did one like this, it kicked REALLY well.....just always to the left....always.
Does that mean it draws fewer strikes? Or is it more that it bothers you that it isn't fishing how you want?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Does that mean it draws fewer strikes? Or is it more that it bothers you that it isn't fishing how you want?
probably more of a personal thing. I've always been a firm believer in fishing what I have confidence in...for whatever that's worth, which ain't much.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
probably more of a personal thing. I've always been a firm believer in fishing what I have confidence in...for whatever that's worth, which ain't much.
No, it's definitely important. I am just always curious what bigtime streamer fishers or even swimbait aficionados are going for, and what really makes a difference when it comes to results. But if you don't like what's happening, yeah, by all means cut it off and try something different that feels fishier, completely understand that.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
royal_coachman_bivisible_1080.jpg

Royal Coachman Bivisible (A)

Tail - Golder pheasant tippets
Body - Peacock herl, red floss, peacock herl
Hackle - Brown and white

Royal Coachman Bivisible (B)

Tag - Gold tinsel
Body - Peacock herl, red floss, peacock herl
Hackle - Brown and white

The Fisherman's Handbook of Trout Flies - Donals DuBois

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Mike,

Those are nice; what amounts of peroxide & ammonia did you use and how long did you let it stew? I have some of that Clarol whitener but haven’t tried it yet; were you happy with the results?
I add 1 part 20 volume hydrogen peroxide, 2 parts clear ammonia and let it sit for a couple hours in a covered 3lb coffee can.

I’ve been happy with the results on pheasant

51672954106_b16a0876bb_c.jpg

51673322673_f5d7d96291_c.jpg

Bleaching a rump patch gives you the bonus of the aftershafts; used for the thorax here

51673628654_bb8b7db993_c.jpg

51673193338_1d1845a0b0_c.jpg

51672149637_5a422ce192_c.jpg

Mixed results on ungulate hair. The deer hair turns out okay but it’s not nearly as light as the pros get it; dyes wel, though. Moose body turns a nice, rich brown and I really like it for tailing

46706013425_a0f898e18c_c.jpg

I need to bleach some moose mane - probably make for some mean ginger quill-ish bodies.

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott,

Sheese, it's been such a long time since I've bleached anything I had to dig deep in my notes. And then I found I did nothing innovative, all I did was follow the recipe in AK Best's book.

IMG_5861[1].JPG

Back in the day, I posted a simple SBS type thing on the old forum. Whether or not it's acceptable, here's the link:

It might answer some of your questions because I really haven't done much tying for quite some time and I'm just starting to get interested in it again.

Regarding whether or not I was happy with the results....with some of the materials, yes. I really liked how the beaver turned out but with some of the other stuff I wasn't as happy with the rusty red color....which is why I asked if you had gotten different results. I didn't know if there was another process that would, for instance, bleach black bear to a light gray or creamy yellow rather than the rust or burgundy I ended up with.

Your ties sure look nice. As always, thanks for sharing.

Mike d

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well it snowed again last night in Bozeman. Florida is looking pretty good right now. 12 days until the bag drag for three weeks of inshore flats fishing in the Tampa/Sarasota area. Needed to top off a few flies to plug some holes in the salty fly boxes.

Shrimpadillo

This is an all around redfish spoon created by the brothers at sightcastfishing.com
1589E888-C637-4346-AFEC-85B6E61A3771.jpegBE2700F8-FD30-4185-A9F7-BDD09FE4C9A7.jpeg
Crafted with spoonfly hooks, easy shrimp eyes and spoonfly cutouts.
F214307F-0089-4D45-8134-898A22B40689.jpeg
6D3264EA-09DC-4E7A-BEBF-A4A17769B82E.jpeg

Crease Flies
C3F8B6C3-7F4C-40B9-9BDD-F72237A4EB0F.jpeg

These have always proved challenging until I picked up the River Road Creations cutters which makes for prefect crease fly shapes every time. Colored with UV resin impregnated with glitter.

Divad

Whitefish
Well it snowed again last night in Bozeman. Florida is looking pretty good right now. 12 days until the bag drag for three weeks of inshore flats fishing in the Tampa/Sarasota area. Needed to top off a few flies to plug some holes in the salty fly boxes.

Shrimpadillo

This is an all around redfish spoon created by the brothers at sightcastfishing.com
View attachment 62270View attachment 62271
Crafted with spoonfly hooks, easy shrimp eyes and spoonfly cutouts.
View attachment 62272
View attachment 62273

Crease Flies
View attachment 62274

These have always proved challenging until I picked up the River Road Creations cutters which makes for prefect crease fly shapes every time. Colored with UV resin impregnated with glitter.
I really like the spoon cutouts, neat product that'll I have to test out.

Nice flies too, never heard of a crease fly. I feel like a small one would work well for SRC on the sound too.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I really like the spoon cutouts, neat product that'll I have to test out.

Nice flies too, never heard of a crease fly. I feel like a small one would work well for SRC on the sound too.
Thanks, re the Crease Fly
Been around awhile!

Crease Fly

Scottp

Legend
it's been such a long time since I've bleached anything I had to dig deep in my notes. And then I found I did nothing innovative, all I did was follow the recipe in AK Best's book.

I really liked how the beaver turned out but with some of the other stuff I wasn't as happy with the rusty red color....which is why I asked if you had gotten different results. I didn't know if there was another process that would, for instance, bleach black bear to a light gray or creamy yellow rather than the rust or burgundy I ended up with.

Mike,

I used A.K.’s book as a reference, too (minus the whitener) and, like you, had mixed results depending on substrate. As with the dyeing process, it looks like there is a lot of hit-and-miss and further experimenting is needed.

Regards,
Scott

Reactions: M_D