What's in your vise?

Scottp

Legend
Muddled Clamber Crippler

52821768724_eaa72936c9_c.jpg

52821995370_59ff207689_c.jpg

52821018737_5f3372be24_c.jpg

Took a good bit of leeway with Rob Denson’s version of Arthur Macdonald’s fly. The muddled part was a last minute decision; didn’t leave myself quite enough room for a well-packed head but it should still float.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 wine
tag - small tinsel gold
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub claret
hackle - dyed golden olive (2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Camel/2 cups water)
1st shoulder - hen claret
2nd shoulder pheasant rump dyed golden olive
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
And then have been messing around with jig style hooks with slotted beads, trying to make some mini-leeches inspired by Billy’s ties.34C0DCB7-0167-4043-9F46-77790D6432D4.jpegA998A47D-883C-4A63-9131-B60572DE588C.jpeg65A38FBB-30DA-4074-BF63-C00B436AE9CB.jpeg

BTW- Does anyone else struggle to open the Firehole Sticks plastic hook boxes?

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
BTW- Does anyone else struggle to open the Firehole Sticks plastic hook boxes?
It doesn't look like how it should open, but after a few times I figured out to pry up one corner at the top end, where the hang tag is.

I have no idea what the structures along the sides are for...decoys? 🤨

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The deer hair in that muddler came from a pre-dyed patch; wish I had their formula, I love that color.

This was the first passable olive I came up with a while ago, after lots of failed attempts

1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water, overdyed with 2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Dark Green/2 cups water

52511297672_de0b865e3a_c.jpg

52511297662_047fa1a3fe_c.jpg

52511770931_21197e0574_c.jpg

The main issue I have with it is inability to get a consistent color; different overdyeing times create very different results (the fly pictured is a bit too bright, needed more time in the second bath). Also, when I dye deer hair, I usually do it in an old coffee carafe on an electric hot plate; I can keep it at a fairly consistent temp for longer periods without boiling it like a microwave would, but overdyeing is hit-or-miss.
I need to try some more mixtures so I only have to dye it once; got a bottle of Rit Apple Green, which shows promise.

Regards,
Scott

What you really need is a sous vide to really dial in your temps.... :LOL: :LOL:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
What you really need is a sous vide to really dial in your temps.... :LOL: :LOL:
Actually @Scottp , I think I still have my old basic one. It was working when I put it in the garage (I upgraded to one with bluetooth). PM me your adderess and I can just send it to you. I'm serious....if you're interested.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Lady-Hamilton-1080.jpg

Lady Hamilton

Ralph Wahl, early 1940's

Steelhead

Tail - Red goose quill section
Ribbing - Silver embossed tinsel
Body - Red floss
Wing - Orange over white bucktail
Head - Black tying thread, with painted black on white eyes

Classic Steelhead Flies - John Shewey

Lord-Hamilton-1080.jpg

Lord Hamilton

Ralph Wahl, early 1940's

Steelhead

Tail - Red goose quill section
Ribbing - Silver embossed tinsel
Body - Yellow floss
Wing - Red over white bucktail
Head - Black tying thread, with painted black on white eyes

Classic Steelhead Flies - John Shewey
I met Ralph's son Terry one time at a meeting in his home.
He had a signed copy of Ralph's book Steelhead Shangri-la. I couldn't get him to part with it. What a treasure that would have been.