Got any bird pics?

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
What a nice variety of photos, Rich!

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had read somewhere a while ago that the last wing (tip) feather on ravens and crows are referred to as a "pinion" feather. Apparently, ravens have 17 feathers total on each wing, crows 16.
Therefore the only difference between a raven and a crow is a matter of a pinion.
;)

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Swallows of different species and color phases. I am not good on swallows beyond tree, barn and violet-green adults. Like many birds, the immature versions can cause some issues. I never know if immature coloring last through the whole first Winter (or years beyond), or if a bird is ready to breed its first Spring, that it will have high color arriving? Like the eagles, some birds take years to make it easy on observers and stick with adults colors year-round.

Researched and have this on Tree Swallows:
  • However, only females have delayed plumage maturation. Young females in the spring of their second calendar year of life (their first nesting season) have mostly brown upper surfaces with some blue-green feathers mixed in.
Barn swallow in middle of Tree swallows

Violet-green (bottom) joins two Tree swallows

Bald eagle flies from stump on creek edge after drying some. It was feeding on spawned-out steelhead

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Swallows of different species and color phases. I am not good on swallows beyond tree, barn and violet-green adults. Like many birds, the immature versions can cause some issues. I never know if immature coloring last through the whole first Winter (or years beyond), or if a bird is ready to breed its first Spring, that it will have high color arriving? Like the eagles, some birds take years to make it easy on observers and stick with adults colors year-round.

Researched and have this on Tree Swallows:
  • However, only females have delayed plumage maturation. Young females in the spring of their second calendar year of life (their first nesting season) have mostly brown upper surfaces with some blue-green feathers mixed in.
Barn swallow in middle of Tree swallows
View attachment 61906

Violet-green (bottom) joins two Tree swallows
View attachment 61909

Bald eagle flies from stump on creek edge after drying some. It was feeding on spawned-out steelhead
View attachment 61911

The ferocity on the face of that eagle is spectacular. Love the iridescence of the feathers in this swallows. Wonderful shots!!

cheers

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Spring is well underway here in the mid-Columbai. The Ospreys, Yellow Headed Black birds and shorebirds are back. Most of the eagles and Widgeons have headed north and most of the ducks that just mgrate through like Northern Pintails here are largely past.
View attachment 61835
View attachment 61836
View attachment 61837
View attachment 61838
View attachment 61839
Rich - what is the bird in the pic above the starling? Day before yesterday three birds flew past me. They were long, slender and their orangish feet were well behind their tail feathers (or at least in the moment I had to look at them - that's what it looked like).//Pat

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Rich - what is the bird in the pic above the starling? Day before yesterday three birds flew past me. They were long, slender and their orangish feet were well behind their tail feathers (or at least in the moment I had to look at them - that's what it looked like).//Pat
You will see avocets and Black-necked Stilts in the ponds around that big cutthroat lake..often over by the caves this time of year !

A couple of classic regional birds there

(not my photo)
Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 7.31.11 PM.png

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Wish I had a nice camera. Because our feeders are busy lately. Yellow rump warblers, Wilson warblers, Purple finch, Goldfinch are showing up and the ground eaters also. Gold and White crown sparrows, Varied thrush, Twhooes. Nice time of year for birdwatching...
Enjoy your photography, thank you...

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
I got alot of feather detail on this shot of a red tailed hawk, emphasizing the red tail.
this bird was perched on a fence post and not going anywhere because it had some prey to devour, so I was able to park pretty close in my "car blind".
Finally a truck came by fast and loud and it took off.
note the bloody beak.

Jay

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I got alot of feather detail on this shot of a red tailed hawk, emphasizing the red tail.
this bird was perched on a fence post and not going anywhere because it had some prey to devour, so I was able to park pretty close in my "car blind".
Finally a truck came by fast and loud View attachment 62372and it took off.
note the bloody beak.

Jay
Great photo!