What's in your vise?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Tried some Stalcup Ultra Damsels, size 16. I bought the original (left) from a fly shop long time ago. Had 2, @jasmillo broke one off and this is the sole survivor to serve as example :)

Used Hareline midge tubing, squeezed inside pliers and held under flame for a bit to get the segmentation effect. Tuft of marabou slid inside the tube and uv cured. Went over it with olive marker since I could only obtained chartreuse.

30lb mono eyes, heated up and mashed down.

The original was tied so well with ridiculous amt of details.

View attachment 61428

My apologies for the loss. It was a momentary loss of muscular coordination….

Those flies were worth their weight in gold last weekend :).

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Olive & Orange Muddler

52815154485_6d7d1f676c_c.jpg

52814936534_c9c008d04e_c.jpg

52815196013_cde81dc7c7_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model #10
thread - Uni 8/0 light olive
tag - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin
rib - small wire chartreuse
body - Starburst dubbing olive
hackle - olive/orange
shoulder - chukar dyed chartreuse (1 Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair dyed olive

Regards,
Scott
Do you have a recipe for olive you’re willing to share?

I’m not sure what the problem is…whether Rit changed some of their dye recipes or if it’s a substrate thing but my ‘ go to’ olive recipe no longer works and it’s driving me nuts.

I have a bunch of baby puke brown rabbit….want some? 🤪

Scottp

Legend
Do you have a recipe for olive you’re willing to share?

I’m not sure what the problem is…whether Rit changed some of their dye recipes or if it’s a substrate thing but my ‘ go to’ olive recipe no longer works and it’s driving me nuts.

I have a bunch of baby puke brown rabbit….want some? 🤪

The deer hair in that muddler came from a pre-dyed patch; wish I had their formula, I love that color.

This was the first passable olive I came up with a while ago, after lots of failed attempts

1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water, overdyed with 2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Dark Green/2 cups water

52511297672_de0b865e3a_c.jpg

52511297662_047fa1a3fe_c.jpg

52511770931_21197e0574_c.jpg

The main issue I have with it is inability to get a consistent color; different overdyeing times create very different results (the fly pictured is a bit too bright, needed more time in the second bath). Also, when I dye deer hair, I usually do it in an old coffee carafe on an electric hot plate; I can keep it at a fairly consistent temp for longer periods without boiling it like a microwave would, but overdyeing is hit-or-miss.
I need to try some more mixtures so I only have to dye it once; got a bottle of Rit Apple Green, which shows promise.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Scottp

Legend
Fluoridated Muddler

52818489617_33e228db5d_c.jpg

52819060076_83a2b595ae_c.jpg

52819459955_242bb7786f_c.jpg

In a larger size this could work as a baby peacock bass.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - SemperFli 8/0 fluoro green
tail - yarn flame
rib - small wire chartreuse
body - Starburst dubbing olive
hackle - fluoro green/olive
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
The deer hair in that muddler came from a pre-dyed patch; wish I had their formula, I love that color.

This was the first passable olive I came up with a while ago, after lots of failed attempts

1 Tbs Rit Golden Yellow/1 cup water, overdyed with 2 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Dark Green/2 cups water

52511297672_de0b865e3a_c.jpg

52511297662_047fa1a3fe_c.jpg

52511770931_21197e0574_c.jpg

The main issue I have with it is inability to get a consistent color; different overdyeing times create very different results (the fly pictured is a bit too bright, needed more time in the second bath). Also, when I dye deer hair, I usually do it in an old coffee carafe on an electric hot plate; I can keep it at a fairly consistent temp for longer periods without boiling it like a microwave would, but overdyeing is hit-or-miss.
I need to try some more mixtures so I only have to dye it once; got a bottle of Rit Apple Green, which shows promise.

Regards,
Scott
Thanks for sharing Scott. Guess it's more trial and error for both of us.....or a run to the fly shop :cool:

When I first started dyeing, I tried a number of different recipes from an old Rit color chart and liked Yellow Green #529 the best. It made for some great olives in rabbit and buck tails ( but it never worked well for deer or antelope....go figure). The difference between a light and dark olive in the rabbit or bucktail was only an hour longer in the dye bath.

Now I'm finding the bath will start out okay, the test piece will be the shade I'm after so I dump in the rest of the hide and 10 or 15 minutes later the batch has gone from olive to the diaper brown. I've tried 6 or 8 variations of the recipe but only get similar results. Frustrating. I can only guess Rit has changed the make up of the various dyes called for in the recipe.

Guess I'll have plenty of material to dye black at some point in the future. Or maybe I'll try over dyeing some of this stuff to see if I can save it. I do have a bottle of apple green and I suppose I can't make it any worse. ;)

Thanks again,

Mike d

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
a few super basic bassy flies....while super "basic", these little things swim so damn well plus are such a piece of cake to cast. I've been working on getting them down fewer and fewer materials (like no additional flash outside of what's in the titan dubbing, bucktail and nayat---that's it)...seriously, if you're a streamer fisherman and haven't used titan dubbing, you're seriously missing out. you can even put a little lipstick on it, like some saddle hackles or additional flash to pretty it up, but I've found that this basic style fits the idea of "tying for dough, not for show"

🍻

PXL_20230416_053415653~2.jpg

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
a few super basic bassy flies....while super "basic", these little things swim so damn well plus are such a piece of cake to cast. I've been working on getting them down fewer and fewer materials (like no additional flash outside of what's in the titan dubbing, bucktail and nayat---that's it)...seriously, if you're a streamer fisherman and haven't used titan dubbing, you're seriously missing out. you can even put a little lipstick on it, like some saddle hackles or additional flash to pretty it up, but I've found that this basic style fits the idea of "tying for dough, not for show"

🍻

View attachment 61902
Very nice
I will fully endorse the titan dubbing as well
Another thing @clarkman that you state is something I need to toss around
The titan does have a fair bit of flash and as I mentioned the other day I took about two dozen to the lake Friday and every one was too flashy for my taste
I’m going to tie some of the pike minnow type with no added flash and see what I think.
Keep up the good work 👽

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Very nice
I will fully endorse the titan dubbing as well
Another thing @clarkman that you state is something I need to toss around
The titan does have a fair bit of flash and as I mentioned the other day I took about a dozen to the lake Friday and every one was too flashy for my taste
I’m going to tie some of the pike minnow type with no added flash and see what I think.
Keep up the good work 👽
NMF also has a Spartan dubbing which has less flash. It's only 2.5" fibers compared to almost 4" with Titan. I've never used Spartan, but may add some to my next order from there.

When I color up the Titan with copic markers it does subdue the flash some too.

Randy Taylor

Steelhead
I have been tying different variations of this fly,I think I have it
Narrowed down to this
I think this coloration should do well here on the Rogue River for summer and fall Steelhead.
Hook- 1.5 to 8
Tag- silver flat tensile
Tail- Golden Pheasant Crest
Body- flourescent fire orange
Ribbing-Gold flat tensile
Hackle from third
ribbing- Blue Eared Pheasant Feather,striped
on one side
Hackle- Red length to barb then yellow Hackle
Shorter then the red
Wings- Yellow kid goat
or fine bucktail,Red on top of yellow,