What's in your vise?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
This past weekend, I fished a lake with @Kfish where there were tons of swirls as fish chased emergers. He quickly found that a slow striped combo that included a small, very sparse, translucent bodied damsel emerger was pretty effective. Since he bought them, had very few left and the fact that I promptly broke off the one he gave me to try off on a fish, I am in the process of trying to emulate to the best of my very modest fly tying abilities :). The other fly in the second pick is a very simple pattern that should be effective as well.

4D7FC1E5-E96B-4665-882A-08E6FF430136.jpeg

7860D0BB-1111-479A-B221-50826F7D4B6E.jpeg

Scottp

Legend
Skwaloctopus

52808477965_defc383f9d_c.jpg

52808477905_2a7c79802c_c.jpg

52808521933_65ab4dbe31_c.jpg

Was hoping to get out during the Skwala hatch and throw some of these but warm weather the past few days is going to bump flows and put some color in the rivers in western MT; by the time I go next week it’ll probably a nymphing game which isn’t what I was looking for.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
egg sac- Ice Dub black
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear brown
hackle - brown
1st shoulder - hen black
2nd shoulder - pheasant body feather dyed brown

Regards,
Scott

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Emily27

Steelhead
Been working on spinning deer hair, nowhere near as precise as I think would be nice to be able to do but I'm okay with the big dots for a pattern like this.

Also If anyone has any favorite tutorials for getting better at spinning hair, especially putting in more complex patterns I would love a linkIMG_20230410_203015425.jpg.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
This past weekend, I fished a lake with @Kfish where there were tons of swirls as fish chased emergers. He quickly found that a slow striped combo that included a small, very sparse, translucent bodied damsel emerger was pretty effective. Since he bought them, had very few left and the fact that I promptly broke off the one he gave me to try off on a fish, I am in the process of trying to emulate to the best of my very modest fly tying abilities :). The other fly in the second pick is a very simple pattern that should be effective as well.

View attachment 61180

View attachment 61182
I'm guessing that the shine is cured UV? I've always thought of damsel nymph and adults as "soft" - this is intriguing.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

View attachment 61180

View attachment 61182
Looks great! Used to be able to buy the tails for the ultra damsel, they were clear plastic with a small tuft of marbou that ran thru it and stuck out the end (just like stalcup's ultra damsel you see commercially tied), very much simplified tying the ultra damsel being able to get the tails pre-made.

However, I haven't seen them in a while. Wish they still made them, it's an awesome lake pattern.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I'm guessing that the shine is cured UV? I've always thought of damsel nymph and adults as "soft" - this is intriguing.

Yeah, it’s 30lb mono crimped with pliers, colored with a light green marker and then covered in UV cure.

Looks great! Used to be able to buy the tails for the ultra damsel, they were clear plastic with a small tuft of marbou that ran thru it and stuck out the end (just like stalcup's ultra damsel you see commercially tied), very much simplified tying the ultra damsel being able to get the tails pre-made.

However, I haven't seen them in a while. Wish they still made them, it's an awesome lake pattern.

The patterns Lou had seemed to be tied with those tails or something similar. I don’t think you can find them anymore. He thought crimping mono with pliers might get you something similar and it works well. The marabou tuft is the hardest part but I think it is worth it. You’re not going to get a lot of movement out of a piece of mono. I just put the crimped tail in my vice, did an overhand knot on a small piece of fly tying mono over it. Put the marabou on, position the loop over the mono and cinched the knot. It’s a bit of finger gymnastics but not bad. Added another knot, then a dab of super glue and it holds well. The uv cure extends back to cover the knot/glue too which adds another anchor on the marabou. I’m sure if it gets eaten a lot the marabou will be the first thing to go still though.

Scottp

Legend
Softhackle Stimi Skwala

52809200412_0fbdf9c951_c.jpg

52809200357_334d2b95ec_c.jpg

52809258512_e1e5e89648_c.jpg

May try other options for the shoulder.

hook - WFC Model 3 #8
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
egg sac- Ice Dub black
rib - small wire gold
tail/wing - deer hair