What's in your vise?

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have to say, I've been looking at my store bought flies lately thinking, mine suck.
I tie a little, had a kit since age 8. But can't say I've put in the dedication beyond being able to put together the basics.

But damn, you guys kill it. Kudos

Divad

Whitefish
I have to say, I've been looking at my store bought flies lately thinking, mine suck.
I tie a little, had a kit since age 8. But can't say I've put in the dedication beyond being able to put together the basics.

But damn, you guys kill it. Kudos
The other day I was catching fish with a fly I tied when I was just getting into it. Funny thing is that fly caught more than my newly dressed versions with more material variability.

Sometimes the basics is best, and very often the flies that don’t look the best catch fish. Pick one of the store bought types you use the most and focus on making your own version.

Maybe you want the fly to float more w/o having to dress it so much, or you want a heavier version or maybe a different size.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The other day I was catching fish with a fly I tied when I was just getting into it. Funny thing is that fly caught more than my newly dressed versions with more material variability.

Sometimes the basics is best, and very often the flies that don’t look the best catch fish. Pick one of the store bought types you use the most and focus on making your own version.

Maybe you want the fly to float more w/o having to dress it so much, or you want a heavier version or maybe a different size.
Yep, this ^^^

I find that especially with my trout dries, which I'm admittedly a poor tier of, probably works to my advantage cause the have stuff hanging off them making them just look kinda "buggy" in general.

Scottp

Legend
BTB Muddler

52804842760_d7d2965a77_c.jpg

52804442376_9202d06fda_c.jpg

52804694829_d271a093be_c.jpg

Re-introducing my fingers to bobbin and scissors, hair and feathers; been a month so I’m keeping it simple.

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 black
tag - Depth Ray fluoro red/resin
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear
hackle - ginger
shoulder - hen grizzly dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Rio_Greande_Queen_1080.jpg

Rio Grande Queen

Winged Wet Fly

Tip - Fluorescent red floss
Tail - Yellow goose quill
Body - Black chenille
Hackle - Black hackle
Wing - White goose quill

The Fisherman's Handbook of Trout Flies - Donald DuBois

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I'm not great at photographing flies at the vise, but after all the Olive Willy and Heather Nymph posts I spent some time getting creative on those two themes. I was trying to come up with something good to troll on the wet side lowland lakes this spring. Both are on TMC 5263 #10 hooks, with twisted and wrapped peacock herl thorax and olive rump pheasant for the collar / legs. First fly has olive Uni-stretch floss for the abdomen, second has Awesome Possum golden olive dubbing.

Lake Fly 1.jpgLake fly 2.jpg