A tale of two halves

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
With a forecast of wet weather I was glad when @troutpocket decided a boat day was in order.

We started out covering water and hooked a lot of fish but we both had some LDR issues. Me more then Rod:20230407_102547-01.jpegIt was not a good streamer bite day and as the day went on even our troll bite died. On one pass we spotted two deer way up in the cliffs:20230407_112047-01.jpegHow they got up there was difficult to figure out.

In despiration and with only a few fish to hand we anchored and tried a spot with no luck. It was looking like it was going to be one of those days when Rod positioned us in another spot with a bucket he liked. He set up for deep chironomids and started putting the smack down on them. 20230407_151215-01.jpegIt didn't take me long to follow suit but I rarely fish a deep indicator so I didn't have the most confidence at first.

The first strike I had was savage and almost stole my rod after I lazily set it down. The rod might have been in the air when I grabbed it. It was that close. OK this is fun😁
20230407_134528.jpgRod with another good one: 20230407_124640-01.jpegThe fish fought excellent and all had thick shoulders:20230407_153517.jpgGee I wonder what we should use🤔20230407_142725-01.jpegTowards the end of the day we had close company on an otherwise empty lake. Always blows my mind when people roll up within casting range and don't say a word. A simple how is it going and mind if we fish here can go a long ways and is basic lake courtesy...20230407_162959-01.jpegMy fish of the day:IMG_20230407_201340-01.jpegThanks for the good company Rod and the lesson on the deep chironomid game🍻

We sure have had a lot of mixed weather lately:20230407_173707-01.jpeg
Billy

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
Great reports, guys, thanks much for sharing!

Aaaand, you got me, @Brute. I was like, "Arrow petroglyph?! Where?!" See, I'd spent some years in the Central Pacific hanging round a guy who was an expert on ancient petroglyphs. Aaah, you got me good.

Kenneth

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
With a forecast of wet weather I was glad when @troutpocket decided a boat day was in order.

We started out covering water and hooked a lot of fish but we both had some LDR issues. Me more then Rod:View attachment 60952It was not a good streamer bite day and as the day went on even our troll bite died. On one pass we spotted two deer way up in the cliffs:View attachment 60953How they got up there was difficult to figure out.

In despiration and with only a few fish to hand we anchored and tried a spot with no luck. It was looking like it was going to be one of those days when Rod positioned us in another spot with a bucket he liked. He set up for deep chironomids and started putting the smack down on them. View attachment 60954It didn't take me long to follow suit but I rarely fish a deep indicator so I didn't have the most confidence at first.

The first strike I had was savage and almost stole my rod after I lazily set it down. The rod might have been in the air when I grabbed it. It was that close. OK this is fun😁
View attachment 60956Rod with another good one: View attachment 60958The fish fought excellent and all had thick shoulders:View attachment 60959Gee I wonder what we should use🤔View attachment 60960Towards the end of the day we had close company on an otherwise empty lake. Always blows my mind when people roll up within casting range and don't say a word. A simple how is it going and mind if we fish here can go a long ways and is basic lake courtesy...View attachment 60961My fish of the day:View attachment 60962Thanks for the good company Rod and the lesson on the deep chironomid game🍻

We sure have had a lot of mixed weather lately:View attachment 60965
Billy
Since you didn't have much confidence in deep water indicator fishing, I guess my "easter eggs" wouldn't be appreciated...

20230409_121617.jpg

Glad you guys were out there ripping lips!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Nicely done Rod and Billy! It looks like the "W" wasn't much of a factor.

@Shawn Seeger - are you going to trim your Easter eggs? Nifty.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Yes, waiting for the "super glue" to dry in indicatiors (and my fingers). Then trim and file (smooth)
Thanks Shawn! I really do need to figure out a system like you are doing and building. It's not that I can't afford bobbers but it's the wearing out of the foam from multiple quick releases that makes gauging how tight to set the peg difficult. I don't like a peg that pops out when casting nor do I care to try and maniuplate a peg release maneuver when I have a fish on (been there and done both many times).

Hope you're healing up.

Pat

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the good company @Billy ! The day was extra challenging because once they started showing, the bugs seemed to be pretty much everywhere. Structure ended up being the key; finding a place that fish moved into and having our bugs in their zone.
View attachment 60980View attachment 60981View attachment 60982View attachment 60983
I was on the same water with @Billy and @troutpocket on Friday. Same fishy story for me. Very slow on deep searching with streamers. Next day I put it to them with the chironomid rig. I was fishing my new Echo Lago 10 foot and it is a total game changer for casting all of the leader for deep fishing. I got a solid slab to christen the new rod. I am lousy at taking fish pics so not many pics.

I saw the same rainbow in the sky that Billy posted in his picture. I was able to confirm that there is a pot of rainbows at the end of the rainbow!

Here are a couple of bad pictures. The first one has no reference pt but it was a nice one. The second will not win any beauty contests and looked like it swallowed a tuna can. I could tell that this fish with the skinny snout looking head and hefty shoulders was different from the way it fought. What a body on this trout..... :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_3714.JPG
    IMG_3714.JPG
    617.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3719.JPG
    IMG_3719.JPG
    595.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was on the same water with @Billy and @troutpocket on Friday. Same fishy story for me. Very slow on deep searching with streamers. Next day I put it to them with the chironomid rig. I was fishing my new Echo Lago 10 foot and it is a total game changer for casting all of the leader for deep fishing. I got a solid slab to christen the new rod. I am lousy at taking fish pics so not many pics.

I saw the same rainbow in the sky that Billy posted in his picture. I was able to confirm that there is a pot of rainbows at the end of the rainbow!

Here are a couple of bad pictures. The first one has no reference pt but it was a nice one. The second will not win any beauty contests and looked like it swallowed a tuna can. I could tell that this fish with the skinny snout looking head and hefty shoulders was different from the way it fought. What a body on this trout..... :LOL:
We’re you in the other driftboat?

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We’re you in the other driftboat?
Nope, I was not in the other driftboat. In fact, I stropped and chatted with @Billy and @troutpocket but did not realize that I was chatting with forum friends. Billy was completely out of context in the drift boat, and I did not recognize him without his tube! Wish I had made the connection and had more of a conversation and stayed to watch them catch fish! :)