First Stonefly of spring

Mark Melton

Life of the Party
Looks like Skwala.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
This guy just landed on the office window.
I was not too far from you yesterday on a site visit near the confluence of the North and Middle forks and a skwala flew down my collar. I was happy to see it. I sent it on its way and it then started up my colleague’s pant leg. Naughty skwala.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think they crawl but don't fly. In my experience, I never see them in the air but still find them on my sleeve.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
My experience with skwallas is limited but consistent. Every time I have gone out to chase the hatch....
1. I see few bugs
2. I catch them on dries
3. The fish only take them in a pool or two. For me it's never wide spread action.

This has been the case two times on the Yakima, once on the Bitterroot and once on Rock Creek. One caveat the time on rock Creek March browns were thick so i switched I fished that hatch instead.

Take that for what it's worth. I guess my primary point is that if they're around I'm fishing the dry.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My experience with skwallas is limited but consistent. Every time I have gone out to chase the hatch....
1. I see few bugs
2. I catch them on dries
3. The fish only take them in a pool or two. For me it's never wide spread action.

This has been the case two times on the Yakima, once on the Bitterroot and once on Rock Creek. One caveat the time on rock Creek March browns were thick so i switched I fished that hatch instead.

Take that for what it's worth. I guess my primary point is that if they're around I'm fishing the dry.
My experience is about opposite for flies, I only find a few on dries. I start a couple weeks before I expect to see adults though, and get 90% on something sunk.
Your observation about only some spots delivering action is what I've noted as well, they are not everywhere, but the same places produce year after year.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
My experience is about opposite for flies, I only find a few on dries. I start a couple weeks before I expect to see adults though, and get 90% on something sunk.
Your observation about only some spots delivering action is what I've noted as well, they are not everywhere, but the same places produce year after year.
like i said my experience is very limited but I do notice anything reoccurring. As for the Yakima, though i have fished lots of places on that river my skwala success was in the same spot or two both times.

Fly-by

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was not too far from you yesterday on a site visit near the confluence of the North and Middle forks and a skwala flew down my collar. I was happy to see it. I sent it on its way and it then started up my colleague’s pant leg. Naughty skwala.
Were you there around 6pm on the MF side of the small creek that splits the forks?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Were you there around 6pm on the MF side of the small creek that splits the forks?
We were on the right bank of the NF about 100 feet above the confluence about 11:30am. And I learned that creek is called Norman Creek.