Daiichi 2546 Hook availability?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone know if they discontinued these in the smaller sizes, like 4, 6 and 8’s?
I looked at a number of sources and these sizes are listed as out of stock at most places.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I just did a quick search and you’re right, nobody has them in 4,6, or 8. I also searched for Umpqua U-401 which looks equivalent, and there was a dearth of those too.

Have you tried the Umpqua XS-420? It’s twice the price but is a pretty cool saltwater hook. It’s black-nickel not bright SS but about the same profile as the Daiichi 2546.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyone know if they discontinued these in the smaller sizes, like 4, 6 and 8’s?
I looked at a number of sources and these sizes are listed as out of stock at most places.
SF
They’re still listed in the current Daiichi catalog, but--and this is a big but--their partnered retailer/wholesaler (Angler Sport Group) only lists them as 1/0-8/0 and makes no mention of them in any smaller sizes elsewhere that I can see.

Guess it's Tiemco's slightly heavier and more expensive 811S for at least the time being?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I just did a quick search and you’re right, nobody has them in 4,6, or 8. I also searched for Umpqua U-401 which looks equivalent, and there was a dearth of those too.

Have you tried the Umpqua XS-420? It’s twice the price but is a pretty cool saltwater hook. It’s black-nickel not bright SS but about the same profile as the Daiichi 2546.

I’ve been using the U401 quite a bit and they work fine. Kind of a cheaper 811S but a don’t think they are quite as tough. Haven’t had any issues with them.
I have some of the X452 hooks but haven’t tried the XS-420.
Hopefully they bring back the 2546 in smaller sizes As I really liked them and they were a good value in my opinion. I might end up ordering some Gami SS15’s if I can’t find someone with some of the 2546 rat holed somewhere.

They’re still listed in the current Daiichi catalog, but--and this is a big but--their partnered retailer/wholesaler (Angler Sport Group) only lists them as 1/0-8/0 and makes no mention of them in any smaller sizes elsewhere that I can see.

Guess it's Tiemco's slightly heavier and more expensive 811S for at least the time being?

Good info. Thanks Jake.
SF

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I picked up a pack of 4s at Creekside last week. I think it was the only one though. They seem to have been subbing a brand called core for a good number of daiichi hooks. The core hooks have the same style # as the daiichis FWIW.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Since I use size 4 a lot, I ended up ordering a 100 pack of 4’s and a 20 pack of 6’s from Bob Marriott’s. Thank for the heads up Lou.

I picked up a pack of 4s at Creekside last week. I think it was the only one though. They seem to have been subbing a brand called core for a good number of daiichi hooks. The core hooks have the same style # as the daiichis FWIW.

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of the Core brand. Looks like it is Hareline’s value brand.
Maybe it is just the pictures I looked at, but the profile looked just a bit different on their C2546 model then the Diiachi 2546. It looked like the hook point on the Core was at more of an angle upward towards the hook shank versus being straighter on the Diiachi.
SF

D0264D9A-08EE-4390-87C3-F9B244FF3903.png44108DF9-5778-4308-964B-95300E138BCA.png

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Since I use size 4 a lot, I ended up ordering a 100 pack of 4’s and a 20 pack of 6’s from Bob Marriott’s. Thank for the heads up Lou.

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of the Core brand. Looks like it is Hareline’s value brand.
Maybe it is just the pictures I looked at, but the profile looked just a bit different on their C2546 model then the Diiachi 2546. It looked like the hook point on the Core was at more of an angle upward towards the hook shank versus being straighter on the Diiachi.
SF

View attachment 60299View attachment 60300
Lol that barb on the C2546 is brutal, like a little harpoon. Pinched down, I think it might loose less fish because of that unique bend?
I might order some to try!

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I compared a C2546 and Daiichi 2546 at home tonight and can confirm the photos above accurately depict the Capt. Ahab style barb and unique bend on the C2546.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I compared a C2546 and Daiichi 2546 at home tonight and can confirm the photos above accurately depict the Capt. Ahab style barb and unique bend on the C2546.
I’ve seen that v bend on other hooks on occasion. Anyone know what it’s supposed to do?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

Thanks for confirming that.
I ended up canceling my order. I’ll probably order again when I’m not in such a rush and don’t feel like waiting a couple weeks to get what I want.
It would be nice if shops could let you know if something is in stock when you order it. They seem to have the out of stock part down. I’ll just use what I have on hand.
I did talk to two different shops and both had the same story. Apparently Daiichi changed the 2546 to a short shank hook, similar to the Gami SC 15. It appears they’ve now changed it back. It also sounds like size 8’s will no longer be produced, though they appear in their catalog.
That’s all I got on this right now.
SF

F2CF60BE-B66A-4527-B13E-B9112F88DEDA.jpeg

Last edited: