Lenice/Nunnally size of fish?

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hi folks. Have heard some conflicting reports on size of fish in these hallowed lakes.

For those with craft on water this year, what are you seeing?

Remember those years when you could expect to see 20" hard fighting fish? Now?

Ron

RPL/LL

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Was there this past wkend. after a 25+yrs absence. decent fish, all I caught n witnessed mid teens.as stated looks to be the new normal. still a fun day.next time packing lighter rods.

dep

Steelhead
you can port a lot of vessels into Nunnally. it is maybe 1.5 times the distance of Lenice on a path, not a road. but it is flat, but the drop off to the launch is steep. horrible to come out of - two person task as the sand is tough.
I think the better fishing in to the east where the lake gets skinny and turns into Bobby at some point.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hi folks. Have heard some conflicting reports on size of fish in these hallowed lakes.

For those with craft on water this year, what are you seeing?

Remember those years when you could expect to see 20" hard fighting fish? Now?

Ron
Ron I use a Measure Net and journal every fish and refuse to lie to myself...

So, the Average Fish Size at Lencie from March 1 - 17 was.... 15.24 inches.

Largest fish to my net measured multiple times with multiple photos... 18.25 inches

IMG_20230312_122400617_HDR.jpg

Smallest fish to my net measured... 11 inches

Journel.jpg

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I used love going out there! I have some great memories of that lake. Like hitting the dirt road doing about 65 miles an hour trying to get to the parking lot because I was going to shit my pants! My pontoon boat was about to fly off the roof of my old 4Runner! Too much coffee that day😬

That being said, I haven’t been there in years. I do remember when the rainbows were big and the tigers were bigger! I watched my brother catch a rainbow one day that looked like a steelhead. I also was trolling a big 4” fly on the west end just off the weed beds and had a hit so hard it parted 10lbs maxima…. Anyway, things just seemed to be better back in the day, maybe it will be again….

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yes, used to be something for large fish. Started fishing Nunnally in the mid 60's. Learned indicator fishing there with a corky and toothpick. Got good at grabbing the toothpick with teeth and hoping the leader would hold. Before floro, sometimes had to go to 6X for stealth, and pop goes the leader!

Check out this 27" pig.... from March 2015

Ron's Tiger.jpg

RCF

Life of the Party
Very memorable times in the past. Had a number of 'runaway freight trains' there. And people say one does not need drag on a reel....

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Interesting fight on these tigers. Like a chinook, just tow you around until they get curious to see what is going on up top!

Saw one other about same size. Just off the windmill came up out of the deep pocket. Looked like a lingcod as I managed to pull the fly away just as he followed to the surface. :cry:

Had one other memorable day with a 23" brown, 22" rainbow and 21" tiger.

About drag, had one in Lenice grab and run; I let it go until the reel seized. Aforementioned "pop".

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Largest fish to my net measured multiple times with multiple photos... 18.25 inches

View attachment 58952

View attachment 58953
Damm, I wish I could like this twice!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 58952

View attachment 58953
Dude, did you get the girth on that big boy? Chunky!

All the fish I caught on the 11th & 12th match Shawn's data. Most all between 15-17. I did have one that was all of 18. It was probably about 19, but, of course, it pulled off 4" from the net. It wasn't even a flop-off. He was done and coming right for the net when the lip skin just finally gave away from a long fight. He was not near as chunky as Shawn's hog. Some of the 16s & 17s were really hot fish. Reminded me of Dry Falls fish.

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So gave it a go. Will say launching a pontoon is a challenge....

Nice weather, really laid down for us. Trolling/casting produced a fair number of fish. Note that there were 2,750 new fish in the lake. And got a boatload of those. Cool that they have figured out 'mids already. Did catch one bare handed in the reeds launching the 'toon! Not sure if I get to include that in the total.....

Noon 'mid hatch got going nicely and provided very steady action for nearly three hours. Arms got tired. Several classes of fish, recents, the 15" rockets, and a few big boys. Fun day

Measure net: 11 on one side, 9 on the other......

Nunnally 3-23.jpg