non slip loop knot..

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Good video. I was freaking last summer because it seemed my loops kept getting bigger and bigger. I like a small loop for aesthetics, but I'm not convinced it matters to the fish I get to chase. Two days ago I noticed them getting big again, but it didn't matter.
20230305_loop.jpg

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good video. I was freaking last summer because it seemed my loops kept getting bigger and bigger. I like a small loop for aesthetics, but I'm not convinced it matters to the fish I get to chase. Two days ago I noticed them getting big again, but it didn't matter.
View attachment 57012
Tom, try keeping the overhand knot as close to the hook eye to get smaller loops.
The disadvantage to a larger loop is that you can occasionally foul your fly and not know it.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Tom, try keeping the overhand knot as close to the hook eye to get smaller loops.
The disadvantage to a larger loop is that you can occasionally foul your fly and not know it.
I need to focus on that. Sometimes I shake a bit, sometimes I'm cold, sometimes just not paying attention.

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
I always thought it was supposed to be three twists and only three.
?
Jay

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
I always thought it was supposed to be three twists and only three.
?
Jay
That's how I do it.

Edit: I guess maybe three is only enough for the small fish I catch. This site says "about five times"

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
That's how I do it.

Edit: I guess maybe three is only enough for the small fish I catch. This site says "about five times"

I do five. 🤷‍♂️

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I shoot for 4, and if the tippet piece is too short I do 3. I use spit lubricant and tighten carefully and well. I can't recall I've ever had a knot fail.
The other day I used a clinch knot on a really short dropper tag because I looked down and went blank on the davey knot I was learning to use. Thought I'd tied it enough to remember, but noooo. It's so simple, but I went blank. I like the loop knot, it fishes well for me.

Reactions: Zak

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For over 40 years I have used the Duncan Loop or Uni knot. It is adjustable so you can fish it as a loop or tighten it against the hook. Obviously once you land a fish the knot tightens but in my experience it is easy to just open it a little for the next fish. Despite the advice to go through the loop about 5 times I have never done more than three nor had a knot fail. It does, however, use more tippet than a Davy knot.

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Dale Dennis showed me his loop knot about 15 years ago. I’ve landed fish of all sizes and it’s not failed once.

It’s very easy to tie in the field.

Pardon my sketch, but if you can figure it out, give it a try!

B95952A2-7ADC-4E32-9C12-26A9E120E550.jpeg

Attachments

• Non Slip Loop Knot 5.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Knot tying has become a tad more difficult for me due my eye sight (use readers now for tying) in addition just my finger dexterity has diminished some. I started using this knot a couple year ago and have had no issues and I use it for most species I target in both fresh and salt waters. The ease of tying this knot is quick, less steps, and a strong knot.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Except for saltwater flats fishing, I never use a loop knot. How important is a loop knot to conventional dry, wet, and nymph fishing?