Fix a slow leak in boat trailer tire?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
One of the tires on my little boat trailer has a slow leak and I finally got around to taking it off to get it fixed. Where do you take something like this? Just to Les Schwab (or whatever local tire place)? Do you even repair little trailer tires? Or do people tend to just get a new one? I can see some sort of a little sidewall crack, so this one might be close to “replace” time regardless.

In case it matters, size is 4.80-12 with 5 lugs.

Bonus, taking the wheel off might slow down the neighborhood tweakers trying to steal it!

E6AF541D-14E4-4CA4-BD3C-D8985C88A736.jpeg 9720A774-65BE-4AF8-A3A3-2C006653874D.jpeg

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Josh if your local Les Schwab or other tire place doesn’t have one, they’re easy to find online. I’ve bought parts from Etrailer but those tires are so common I bet even Amazon has them. Also Tractor Supply seems to have a lot of trailer parts.

Then once you have the tire in hand you can have Les mount it, or try it yourself with a pair of tire irons. A tire that small might be doable at home. Getting the bead to seat can be tricky, you need a good fast blast of air from your compressor to push the rubber against the wheel so it can inflate. Or you can try a ratcheting strap around the circumference to squeeze the tire so the beads make contact just long enough to hold air until the pressure takes over.

Andy

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Get a new tire. Walmart sells the 4.8X12 and will no doubt mount it for you. Probably at less expense that the ever so handy Schwab guys. And what @RCF says rings spot on.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Spray soapy water on the suspected area to make sure that's the leak. You might just need another valve stem core. Spray that area as well looking for bubbles.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sidewall issues = new tire.

You experience may be different but with small trailer tires I once had my mechanic replace the tire on the hub I owned. It was like $10 more expensive than just buying full new tire and wheel set. Sadly it’s probably cheaper to head to Walmart or harbor freight or local tire place and just buy a full new setup.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I got a pair from Discount Tire on Bakerview this past September.

They will match or beat any price. I brought in an online listing for a set of Carlisles and they matched the price.

I was out the door with 2 mounted tires for $100.58

cdnred

Life of the Party
With a side wall crack, it would be best to look at replacing the tire with a new one. Another option for a small leak would be to try a qwik repair with a "Aersol Emergency Flat Tire Repair and Inflator". Not sure if you could call it a permenent fix but just another option to consider. Amazon have them for sale but I'm sure Walmart or a simialr store might carry them as well..

Amazon product ASIN B09KCQ6QK6

dep

Steelhead
I would suggest replacing both tires and getting a new spare.
you will have all new tread and same install dates.
I would recommend Les Schwab.
one of my worst nightmares would be getting a trailer flat while traveling

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My local tire store took care of my lawn tractor tires, so I'm sure your local tire store will take care of yer boat tire.
I personally will not ever darken Les Swab tires door after getting screwed on a brake job.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Here's a question, how much does tire width matter in this instance? Like I said, the ones on there are 4.8x12. But I see a lot of 5.3x12 tires for sale also. Would those work? Would they only work if I were getting a new wheel as well?

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Glad you are replacing them both. It looks like those tires were manufactured in 2006 by the side wall stamp. Tire that are ten years old are considered used up no matter what the tread depth is. The rubber breaks down at that age and they are unpredictable for use.

I put that size tire on my son in-laws boat trailer, and they were fine. If you can fit them under the fender (check the measurements) it can't hurt.

Mike

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So, here's an update...

I ended up ordering a couple tires/wheels from Amazon, of all places. Even at Walmart it was going to cost ~$50 to replace each tire and have it mounted on my old rims. So for $120, I got 2 tire/rim combos already mounted.

Amazon product ASIN B071F9SF3S
And that lets me use my remaining "good" wheel/tire as an emergency spare. Yes yes, it's probably not in great shape given the age. But since I have zero spare now, it's better than what I had. Add in the fact that I rarely pull the trailer more than 30 minutes away, chances are good that I won't end up using it for much more than limping to the nearest tire shop, if at all.

Anyway, amazon tires showed up like this:

03E6B099-A487-4AE5-85D4-67276F919E87.jpeg

...which was kind of funny.

But they mounted up just fine.

88EB6006-EB78-43CB-B726-03B5E95DF1D3.jpeg

Next step is to repaint those rusty galvanized fenders...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
So, here's an update...

I ended up ordering a couple tires/wheels from Amazon, of all places. Even at Walmart it was going to cost ~$50 to replace each tire and have it mounted on my old rims. So for $120, I got 2 tire/rim combos already mounted.

Amazon product ASIN B071F9SF3S
And that lets me use my remaining "good" wheel/tire as an emergency spare. Yes yes, it's probably not in great shape given the age. But since I have zero spare now, it's better than what I had. Add in the fact that I rarely pull the trailer more than 30 minutes away, chances are good that I won't end up using it for much more than limping to the nearest tire shop, if at all.

Anyway, amazon tires showed up like this:

View attachment 56114

...which was kind of funny.

But they mounted up just fine.

View attachment 56115

Next step is to repaint those rusty galvanized fenders...
There's nothing like having a flat spare tire and you either tow your boat/trailer with a flat or you abandon it roadside (right, sure, uh-huh) while you race to the nearest Les Schwab. Don't ask me how I know.

Ps. Great deat on the tires/wheels.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good move Josh, you have saved yourself an embarrassing roadside breakdown. I would suggest that you also pull the hubs and check the condition of the wheel bearings. Last year I checked my hubs-which looked almost new on the outside-turned out to have water damaged bearings despite little use and the trailer always being stored under cover. They would have failed on a trip of average length. New seals, bearings and boat trailer grease made things well again.

Trailer owners would be wise to check the DOT build date on your trailer tires. Seven years is as long as I go regardless of tread and any tire that is weather checked is due for replacement. The cost of new wheels/tires and bearings is insignificant compared to the inconvenience of an on-road breakdown which can and does happen at night-a further complication.

The Boy Scouts said it best: Be Prepared!

Chucker

Steelhead
So, here's an update...

Looks like a good deal.

If you use them in saltwater, make sure you clean them off really well afterwards. Those painted wheels don’t do well with salt.