Recent content by Triggw

1. T

New bobber gives you “20%-100% more takes”!

I confess to having an in with the "factory," or at least what used to be the factory, so I haven't had to buy one in a while. Last ones I bought were at North Park Anglers in Walden, Colo, but that's been a few years back. I fear the originator has gone on to other interests. I'll add that...
  2. T

New bobber gives you “20%-100% more takes”!

And you can see it (Shawn's) when it's windy (i.e., almost always). Although this is my favorite release indicator:
  3. 1713825230258.png

1713825230258.png

4. T

Measuring Distances App

ONX has a free draw mode that lets you simply trace a curved line rather than a series of points.
  5. T

vices?

Probably drinking. Though I'm also a fan of sloth.
  6. T

Lake craft recommendation

Plus one on the Bucks Bags Southfork. And regardless of manufacturer, I think the pontoon style boat has it all over everything else -- comfy, stable, adequate storage, feet (but just the feet) in water.
  7. T

InreachMini2 vs. Zoleo

I use the newer InReach Messenger. You can use it without connection to a smartphone, but the phone app is a lot easier. I like that it holds a charge for up to 30 days, and you can actually charge the phone from the Garmin device enough to use it, but I haven't tried that.
  8. T

Looking for a Guide in Northumberland, England

Not quite in Newcastle, but not too far. I fished with Geoff Johnston out of Carlisle on the River Eden. Good guide and had a very nice day even thought it was cold and windy.
  9. T

Garmin Striker Questions

On my pontoon boat, I use the trolling motor mount for the transducer, and it works fine. I figure it's starting out a foot deep, so I add that to the reported depth. I run the unit off the trolling motor battery. That also works well and saves having to carry another battery -- unless I decide...
  10. T

Personal Protection

If you get a gun--and since you have small children at home--I can't begin to emphasize how important it would be to keep it properly secured.
  11. T

Understanding what’s in my fly box

Your Prince Nymph is at the top of the 3rd row (from the right) behind the SJ Worms. (Note the little white wings.) The fly all by its lonely at the very bottom of the 4th row might be a Pheasant Tail. Don't know about your region, but to fish alpine lakes in Colorado in spring/early summer...
  12. T

Bobber fishing rod? What'cha using?

No, I got that. That's what @Bambooflyguy is calling a quick-release bobber, which I'm very familiar with. I'll look into "slip bobbers" more, but it doesn't sound like it would work for deep nymphing on a fly rod. Thanks for the info, though.
  13. T

OK, tell me about slip bobbers. This sounds like something I need.
  14. T

All the slip bobbers I've used are tight to the line--at the required distance above the fly to drop it to the right depth--until you set the hook (or miss a strike). I.e., if you want the fly to be14 feet deep, you've got to have 14 feet of line *below* the slip bobber. If you know of one that...
  15. T

Don't see how you can move enough line on a strike to set the hook. Especially if it's down there 15 or 16 feet. Or get enough leader off the water to cast.