Recent content by tomb

1. T

Help support the family of young WDFW biologist killed in tragic accident

A young WDFW biologist, Erin Peterson, a mother of two, died in a tragic accident while snorkeling the Wind River to count summer steelhead this fall. I had the privilege of working with Erin and she was a brilliant scientist and the kind of person who brings out the best in everyone she...
  2. T

Petition: Statewide Protection of Resident Forms of Wild Steelhead

I think one of the biggest challenges a lot of the orgs (and the managers) face is great intentions combined with a complete lack of understanding of the relationship between the rules they propose and the effects of those rules on the outcomes they care about. Of course exact effects cannot be...
  3. T

Switch vs spey recommendation

7125 burkheimer…light enough to enjoy 12” trout…heavy enough to land 17lb steelhead and throw 12’ of T-17…thoughts rob?
  4. T

Broodstock hatcheries/ epigenetics

Nice summary SalmoG…one addition: I’d note that a wild population being mined to support a broodstock hatchery need not have a surplus to completely replace all wild fish taken for brood because some of the hatchery fish produced that return and spawn jn the wild will produce wild fish and...
  5. T

Steelhead Scale Sampling Volunteer Opportunity

See link. WDFW looking for volunteers to assist with scale sampling in lower Columbia region.