Recent content by Mike Monsos

1. Mike Monsos

Martha Marie gets a work out.

Glad to hear you are having fun making rods, you should try to make it ti the bamboo Fling in June. I'd like to see your rods.
  2. Mike Monsos

Martha Marie gets a work out.

A friend and I hit a small lake north of Snoqualmie for a few hours on Friday. The wind was shifting when we got there, and the water temp was 50 at the surface. There was a bit of a bite to the air, so a coat was necessary even in the sunshine. No hatches to see and no shucks on the surface...
  3. Mike Monsos

A Water Seal in the Sunshine

Thanks for sharing Dave, your ties are beautiful and adventures inspiring. Keep them coming.
  4. Mike Monsos

Bamboo Fling 2024

I can make either day work myself.
  5. Mike Monsos

Rescue, maybe…

You might want to turn that new reel around though first :ROFLMAO: :unsure::p
  6. Mike Monsos

Bamboo Fling 2024

It's been too long since I last seen Robert, I hope he can make it.
  7. Mike Monsos

Bamboo Fling 2024

Last year I believed we set the time for 11am.
  8. Mike Monsos

Tom Fulk RIP

Sorry to hear of Tom's passing. I remember him sharing his method for developing tapers and graphing the taper out up at a Corbett gathering. Tom was always open for chats and sharing his thoughts on rod design and making. RIP Tom
  9. Mike Monsos

Bamboo Fling 2024

I think the idea of a lake gathering is nice, but it does present some issues. Personally, I'd be hesitant to leave eight or more rods and reels unattended in a public park to test cast a rod on the water from a floaty. As an alternative I'd suggest a Bamboo Fishing Day (BFD ;) ). We could...
  10. Mike Monsos

Lake craft recommendation

I currently have a Fat Cat and a Water Master, both have their place but most of the time the Fat Cat gets the nod unless it's a larger lake with more travel to require the oars.
  11. Mike Monsos

Rescue, maybe…

It is true that bamboo fly rods are sensitive to line tapers, and also manufacturers. I have come to like the 406 fly lines out of Montana to fit my rods and casting style. You might even be able to go to a 6wt line from a different taper or manufacturer. Buth there is nothing wrong with...
  12. Mike Monsos

Past Bamboo Gatherings

Yup they are already sold out for the April 1, 2024 through March 31, 2025
  13. Mike Monsos

Past Bamboo Gatherings

That was a FUN day Cliff, thanks for bringing the pictures forward. That lake is one of the "tree farm" lakes we frequent. The catch is you have to buy the $300 permit to access the area.
  14. Mike Monsos

Rescue, maybe…

For testing tie on an older heavy fly reel and try the balance. It should balance close to the nose of the grip or within an inch or two of the end of it. Once you find the right reel you can use any reel and line weight you have on hand, lay the testing line reel on the ground and peel off...
  15. Mike Monsos

Bamboo Fling 2024

The question, "just how many rods do you need????" JUST ONE MORE!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: