Recent content by Marc Fryt

1. Marc Fryt

Splicing line

Triple surgeon's knot is great for smaller joining smaller tippet (sizes 3x and smaller), creating dropper tags, and for connecting two different types of materials like nylon and fluorocarbon. I've used the blood knot to join nylon and fluorocarbon together, but the triple surgeon's knot just...
  2. Marc Fryt

Spokane weekend late July

And here's a new water temperature monitor that the Spokane Riverkeeper just installed (it's located just upstream of People's Park): https://monitormywatershed.org/tsv/SpokaneRiver-Peaceful/6677/ It seems to be glitching a little this morning for some reason, but water temps have been in the...
  3. Marc Fryt

WDFW has been doing bass eradication on that stretch the last two years (to help out the redband population). So smallmouth fishing on that part of the river isn't as good anymore.
  4. Marc Fryt

Yeah, the only carp that you'll find are much further down at Long Lake (although Avista and WDFW are doing carp and pike removal there, so a lot of the big ones are gone). Safer places to park: People's Park and Riverside State Park. I've personally never had any issues parking at other spots...
  5. Marc Fryt

Sunny Day Strategy

Some of the lakes that I fish for bass have rocky drop-offs down to around 15-20ft and that stay mostly free of weeds. One crossover tactic from stillwater trout fishing that I also found effective for bass on bright, clear days is using a full sinking line (type III, V, or VII) with a large...
  6. Marc Fryt

Using a kayak to get into the lily pads.

To get through thick lily pads I've used my inflatable paddle board and just taken the fin off from the bottom to further minimize getting caught on the vegetation. It works pretty well, but once the wind picks up you get blown around too much. Standing on the SUP also really helps to spot any...
  7. Marc Fryt

Hey Mark, late July will most likely be very hot, so your best bet is fishing the "lower" Spokane which is the stretch between the Spokane Falls and Plese Flats (the aquifer in this section recharges the river and keeps it cooler than the stretch upstream of Spokane). Early mornings are the way...
  8. Marc Fryt

Beginner trying to figure out rod positioning and other basics

To answer your second question about "What angle do you hold your rod when drifting your dry fly downstream," rather than thinking about the rod angle it helps to think about inducing slack into the fly line during the cast. This allows the dry fly to land with some slack so it can drift...
  9. Marc Fryt

Impressionism in fly design

Agree. After getting more into upland hunting, I have ended up with a couple capes of grouse feathers, and with so many feathers I started to incorporate them more into my stillwater patterns. Especially this spring season, those soft hackle flies became confident patterns and are taking a...
  10. Marc Fryt

Article: Fly Fishing Tactics for Drop-Offs in Lakes

Well, even though our prime springtime lake season for trout was cut short here in Eastern Washington, I still have my mind glued to stillwater fishing. So, I wrote up a new blog article about tactics you can try out around drop-offs in lakes. Drop-offs are invaluable lake structures here at our...
  11. Marc Fryt

Spokane Area Lake Updates

Updates on the lakes around Spokane (within an hour's drive of the city): Throughout this past week, weather conditions were consistent and water temps have been cold (lows 40s on the surface, upper 30s/low 40s 10ft and further down). All of the lakes south/southwest of Spokane are ice-free...
  12. Marc Fryt

Spokane Area - Lake Updates

Diamond Lake is an ok lake for fly fishing, they've had some issues in recent years with the trout numbers. I was up there recently this winter doing some ice fishing and it was very slow (only one 16in trout was caught between me and a friend). While Diamond Lake can be enjoyable, I still...
  13. Marc Fryt

Spokane Area - Lake Updates

This last week was sunny and warm which had us down to t-shirts at times while we prospected the lakes around Spokane. Most of the lakes south/southwest of the city are ice-free, except for Medical Lake. There was just a touch of ice left on Amber up in the NE corner. Fly fishing has been...