Recent content by Lance Magnuson

1. Lance Magnuson

Lone Lake

Lone has been producing with #18 bloodworms and small (#16) black leeches under an indicator, 1ft off the bottom. The water is remarkably clear. Algae seems to be gone. Stroking in the fly is a good way to entice strikes.
  2. IMG_2040.jpeg

IMG_2040.jpeg

3. Lance Magnuson

Katmai 2023

I got back last Sunday from 3 days on the Naknek. The fish are big and strong, but unfortunately over 50% landed were missing mandibles or had head wounds caused by pegged beads. This is not sustainable. These world class fisheries need protection from us.
  4. Lance Magnuson

Bristol Bay

Recently, like the last 10 years or the last two weeks? They do a pretty good job on weather prediction in the Bay, given the commercial fisheries taking place there. Any time you’re in the Alaskan bush, you need good rain gear. If you’re wading, your bottom half is covered. Simms wading...
  5. Lance Magnuson

Gotta love brookies on a 3wt.

Unfortunately, Brook Trout, a char can shore spawn. No stream needed. Over population and limited feed lead to small stunted fish with big heads.
  6. Lance Magnuson

NFR Gutter installation

Take them off your house and let the rain go. Sing “Born Free.”
  7. Lance Magnuson

Do you have enough? When can I start?

I’m think that you need to broaden your horizons. You can still fish unless the water’s hard. December 16-
  8. CE7087B5-6CC8-48E4-B27F-0208232ADFC8.jpeg

CE7087B5-6CC8-48E4-B27F-0208232ADFC8.jpeg

9. Lance Magnuson

Death at Hole in the Ocean County Park

Keep your fingers out of the water.
  10. Lance Magnuson

SFR Alaska Bering Sea king and snow crab seasons canceled

I was involved in the Alaska seafood biz for over 35 years. While over harvest can be blamed for some of problems in catch quota numbers dropping, this reasoning is too simplistic. Both the ADFG as well as NMFS both monitor these crab fisheries ( and all Alaskan fisheries) with an iron fist...
  11. Lance Magnuson

Lost Rod Yakima Canyon

Howdy- I was fishing the Yakima Canyon yesterday, a mile downstream from Reds. I set my rod on top of my car while eating lunch, only to forget it while leaving for my next destination a mile downstream. I know, I’m an idiot. I went back promptly after discovering my stupidity, searching the...
  12. Lance Magnuson

Bristol Bay

Obviously traveling in bear territory your chances of unwelcome encounters are greater than other wilderness areas without many bears. I do believe you’re correct that much of this fear is in your head. I’ve fishing rivers and streams throughout Alaska. I’ve camped in tents in both western...
  13. Lance Magnuson

Bristol Bay

Obviously traveling in bear territory your chances of unwelcome encounters are greater than other wilderness areas without many bears. I do believe you’re correct that much of this fear is in your head. I’ve fishing rivers and streams throughout Alaska. I’ve camped in tents in both western...
  14. Lance Magnuson

North Cascades High Lakes

I believe I’ve hiked that route several times. There are other less aggressive routes to that lake but they do take more time. The route is quick going down, kind of a controlled fall.
  15. Lance Magnuson

What floating line does the folks on here prefer for indicator fishing

I’m old school and cheap. I use Cortland 444SL double taper. When the line wears out, I flip it to use the “new” end. When used on streams with an indicator, they mend easily.