Recent content by doublespey

1. doublespey

Bad outing for FlyFish Dan

Rod weights and Steelhead is another entertaining and complex topic. I watched Ed Ward battle a large Skagit fish on a soft 6wt switch rod and he had it licked in under 5 minutes. I've also watched inexperienced folks with 9wt spey rods following fish around with their rod pointed toward the...
  2. doublespey

Bad outing for FlyFish Dan

Just guessing, but if Flyfish Dan ever has the reel seat of one of his own rods fall off you wouldn't be watching it happen on a YouTube video. ;) I've had a number of firearm related issues while fishing and know how he felt. Had some dudes open up with automatic weapons shooting into the...
  3. doublespey

Cant fix stupid!

Yeah, reality is that bison never bothered me in YNP. I stayed away from them and they stayed away from me. I do remember pissing off a bull elk one time in the fall that wanted to cross the Madison where I was fishing. My dad suggested I get outta the water as the bull was beginning to...
  4. doublespey

Cant fix stupid!

I'm sure glad WDFW's not trying to reintroduce Bison to WA. Can you imagine the chaos, with innocent eastside flyfishers being trampled by these beasts? You'd have to carry a 12 gauge for every seeplake hike-in. ;)
  5. doublespey

Second fishing trip in my new truck

Kudos on taking the plunge Matt and hope you enjoy your purchase. One side benefit is that it might also deter Tweaker breakins. I personally can't wait till Tesla comes out with a truck camper to slap on the back of that beast!
  6. doublespey

Dog Bite On Waders

Ditto the comments no puncture = you'll be ok. Also on the unleashed dogs - I carry pepper spray on walks with my pup cause I don't want to permanently harm the other dogs and it's just a way to stop an attack. I'd much rather use it on their owners who often allow/encourage aggressive...
  7. doublespey

Spey Bros

That bridge photobombed a lot of fish pictures.
  8. doublespey

Cheap-ass winter stick. TFO Pro II, 11'6" 7/8. Question...

I have the TFO Pro II 11' 6/7wt and it likes an Airflo Scout 420gr and T10 tips. A typical jump for the 7/8wt would be to the 480 to 510gr range for shorter Skagit heads. Which is a long way of saying that DanielOcean's guess is probably right on! ;)
  9. doublespey

Survive the Sound 2024

Joined with Emerald from the Nisqually and donated. Long may they run!
  10. doublespey

FishWA App Update

Not yet, but one of the enforcement folks I bumped into on the OP tells me that electronic licenses are coming to WA. Targeted for 2025
  11. doublespey

Why not a motor?

This very question lead to the creation of my Ghetto Sled. Essentially a 13' narrow raft (Saturn KaBoat) with transom. I had the Catchercraft folks create a frame that stiffened it a bit and allowed me to use more robust oars than the pinned ones that came with it. The 9.8hp Tohatsu with...
  12. doublespey

Crossing/Entering Railroad property along Rivers?

There was a big issue with it here in Western Washington about 5 years ago and there was a crackdown on folks crossing the tracks because there had been some injuries/deaths (transients, not fishermen) and the railway was covering their legal asses. Not many steelhead now, so not so many...
  13. doublespey

Remember those WA Licenses --- and tip of the cap to WDFW

Remembered on Monday that my WA license expires on Sunday the 31st. Got online and paid for the new license, not really expecting that it would arrive in time. But I look in the mail today and sure enough, there it was! Thanks WDFW - that was faster than I expected :)
  14. doublespey

Fish handling

Sadly, this seems to be the norm. If you don't like the law/rule, just do what you want and tell the govt and everyone else to F*** Off. I first though that keeping a fish in the water was overkill, but after watching enough steelhead dragged into boats before being pulled out of the net for...
  15. doublespey

2024 Skagit Steelhead

I would have laughed at floating line/egg patterns on the swing until a week or so ago. Was funcasting with friends on a closed river , casting a floating midbelly line. The rod's owner had a orange and yellow yarn 'fly' on the leader that was coated in fly floatant. Looked just like a little...