Recent content by cruik

1. cruik

The Steelheading Secret Legit Fly Fishers Don’t Want You To Know

I don't doubt there's a "comfy" temperature zone for steelhead, but I believe in temperature changes over objective temperature. I'd rather fish a warm-up from from 37 to 42 than a cold snap from 50 to 45. Beads or no beads. I think I read somewhere that air temp < water temp was bad fishing...
  2. cruik

Coastal Steelhead Sport Fishing Closure on March 1

I think a limited-entry system is never going to happen, but I don't think it's as hard to visualize as one might think. Throw out the Atlantic Salmon way of doing things and rely on traditional floats as "beats." For bank angling, you could have a beat being a whole river or section. If the...
  3. cruik

Coastal Steelhead Sport Fishing Closure on March 1

It's unfortunate because I think coastal winter steelhead fishing, especially on the OP is ideally suited to a limited-entry fishery. The truth is it's a destination fishery. We're all just in denial about it. I think including gas, gear, and lodging on a yearly basis, licensing probably...
  4. cruik

The Steelheading Secret Legit Fly Fishers Don’t Want You To Know

Can't believe I just registered to talk about beads... I want to be angry at using beads, but that's not fair to the beads. When I think of fishing beads, I picture someone fishing 12 miles of river in the front of a raft with minimal casting and mending required. If you hoof your ass into a...