Recent content by Chinookie

1. C

Rio Gold Fly Line good for Steelhead?

Just to wrap my head around it, am I giving up anything going with a line with that? I'm assuming it may not be accurate or present flies delicately. But that's not what I'm really going for with steelhead anyways?
  2. C

Any experience with Airflo?
  3. C

Airflo Superflo Power Taper in the same category as these? Or do I want something with a longer rear taper?
  4. C

Thank you. Good info here. Just to clarify, attaching the polyleader would be to swing with the indicator line? I know the depth will depend on where I'm fishing, but is there typically a ips I should be looking at for steel?
  5. C

I was just looking at these. Are you using it for swinging and nymph?
  6. C

So I really need to figure out which method I want to try and have different lines between nymphing and swinging? Swinging is more appealing to me but from what I've gathered, it's a small window to effectively streamer fish?
  7. C

I was hoping I could get away with a weighted fly or throw on a sinking polyleader with the floating line when I wanted to swing. What would you recommend I go with? I appreciate any info, I'm new to all of this. My goal was to build a universal kit to get started with steelhead, jetty fishing...
  8. C

Considering a 10' 8wt Echo Ion XL
  9. C

Would this line be a good all-around option for streamers and nymphs until I figure out what direction I wanted to go? Or should I be looking at a different line for steelhead to start out with? Thanks.
  10. C

What leader should I be looking at for steelhead?

I wanted to follow up with you to clarify. You aren't adding any tippet to the 15# ug? You're running level for the whole setup, swinging and nymphing?
  11. C

For the polyleader.. if I'm going to be using a 10' 8wt, should I be looking at something like the Airflo 5' salmon/steelhead polyleaders for when I want to swing?
  12. C

10# tippet is enough for steelhead?
  13. C

Just straight, level, leader?
  14. C

Thanks for the reply. If I'm going to nymph or not use the versileader for streamers, would I need to construct a tapered leader? I'm assuming I would need more than just the ultra green to make that leader? Right now I only have a Rio Trout Versileader (12lb core/7' 3ips). I've only ever fly...