Recent content by 7Derp

1. 7

Any tips on MA13 staging estuary coho? There's lots of them!

So, I was reading maybe here or elsewhere that the spawning coho, especially to smaller streams, are triggered by smaller flies resembling what they were eating when they were wee-lads in the streams several years prior. In these streams, which I fished a lot when they were open to regular...
  2. 7

Freshwater coho flies

Aye, got it. Sort of thought it could dangle under a floating line head, but mini bobber would be less likely to spook them.
  3. 7

What's a budget gear rod for salmon?

I use a 8'6" St Croix Wild River Medium-Heavy, Fast spinning rod for everything from bluegill to 30lb chinook. Mine has been an absolute workhorse unit for the last decade or so. Nothing appears capable of snapping it, so far, even after many days of slamming big chinook and pulling them onto...
  4. 7

Freshwater coho flies

How are these fished? Sorry if stupid question. Any action or just let them drift on their own?
  5. 7

Any tips on MA13 staging estuary coho? There's lots of them!

The last couple of years have seen massive numbers of hatchery coho showing up all over MA13 and its estuaries. I've had success with spinners and rotator lures, but only on lucky days (and boy do they bite like crazy on those days!). I figured going to a small fly would be more effective on...