Float Tube Safety

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The real danger of a tube is the danger of pissing one's pants if you have not mastered the art of the mid lake urination technique.
Waist high waders. Problem solved. Now, if you're still in the dark ages of float tubing and are using a donut (or U style where you're sitting down in the water) that's going to be your first issue for many reasons spoken of ad nauseum on this & other forums.

Last edited:

onefish

Steelhead
I've been trying to convince someone to try lake fishing with me. We would be using float tubes and wearing PFDs. However, they are paranoid about safety. I'm convinced that floating around in a tube is far safer than wading on a river, yet they have no issue with that. They seem to think it is possible for submerged trees to suddenly float to the surface and kill you, among other things.

Is there any truth to this paranoia? What safety issues does one need to be aware of?
I was fishing in a 12 ft tinnie off Vancouver Island when a submarine surfaced 1/4 mile or so away. That certainly caused some pucker action.
The submerged tree is well and thoroughly water logged and would sink even further to the bottom if not embedded already.
Are there any subs in your lake?

Pez Vela

Steelhead
I fished a Bugs Bag for years without any issues, although I did see my buddy try to wade forward in the water with his fins on and do a header. All I saw was his fins sticking up in the air, which had me laughing until I realized he couldn't get right side up! I used a truck inner tube in mine, and had to replace it every couple of years because I think the UV would make it crack.. good to check. (yes ...that is twin engines on the pontoon boat...when I'm in a hurry!)

Attachments

• P1010858.jpeg
    P1010858.jpeg
    548.6 KB · Views: 36
  • P3270179.jpeg
    P3270179.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 36

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
In Hawaii you have to watch for emergency ascent drills from nuclear submarines…

Yardus

Secret Squirrel
30 years ago I flipped a doughnut tub at the shore while trying to get out to pee. Ended up cold and warm at the same time while turtling at the beach ;) Never really felt unsafe out in the lake though. 2nd heavy wind (25+) and cramps can be a real issue trying to get somewhere.

I would also like to emphasize the use of a PFD while on the water. One time in a lake near Vantage many years ago, I slipped out of my pontoon boat with 5mil boot foot Hodgeman's on and went right to the bottom. Had I been in water deeper than 5' it could have been over for me! not sure I could swim in that setup. Scary stuff!!!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Probably shouldn't bring up the possibility of swimming rattlesnakes if fishing EWA scabland lakes. They just want to snuggle on your float tube.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
30 years ago I flipped a doughnut tub at the shore while trying to get out to pee. Ended up cold and warm at the same time while turtling at the beach ;) Never really felt unsafe out in the lake though. 2nd heavy wind (25+) and cramps can be a real issue trying to get somewhere.

I would also like to emphasize the use of a PFD while on the water. One time in a lake near Vantage many years ago, I slipped out of my pontoon boat with 5mil boot foot Hodgeman's on and went right to the bottom. Had I been in water deeper than 5' it could have been over for me! not sure I could swim in that setup. Scary stuff!!!
PFD and a waist belt. No, waders full of water after an incident will NOT send you to the bottom of the lake (though heavy boots and no PFD might)....but waders full of water will increase hypothermia risk, and make clambering out of the lake on shore incredibly difficult.

Last edited:

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet (but I’m a notorious skimmer) is the danger of a slow leak in a float tube.

All seems fine and dandy, you’re floating along fishing for half an hour or so, and suddenly you’re way out in the middle of the lake and starting to question whether you’ve lost some draft. You spend another half hour half fishing and half wondering whether you’re losing air, and then you hit the “oh shit I’ve definitely been losing air” point.

You start kicking back toward the launch - the rest of the lakefront is private property. If you’re in an older float tube with your butt in the water, you might notice the water level creeping toward the top of your waders. You feel a bit ridiculous, but the situation is still more funny than scary.

Then you realize that the more draft you lose, the harder it is to kick your way along. Progress slows, but you do manage to reach a point where you’re only a few hundred yards from the launch. The private property shoreline is closer, so you’re still a little complacent. You don’t want to embarrass yourself! Can totally make it back to the launch. But you’re having to really work on your posture to avoid a progressive downflooding situation in your waders.

AND THEN BAM A GIANT PREHISTORIC LOG ROCKETS UP FROM THE DEPTHS STRAIGHT UP INTO YOUR SPHINCTER AND YOURE DEAD!

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet (but I’m a notorious skimmer) is the danger of a slow leak in a float tube.

All seems fine and dandy, you’re floating along fishing for half an hour or so, and suddenly you’re way out in the middle of the lake and starting to question whether you’ve lost some draft. You spend another half hour half fishing and half wondering whether you’re losing air, and then you hit the “oh shit I’ve definitely been losing air” point.

You start kicking back toward the launch - the rest of the lakefront is private property. If you’re in an older float tube with your butt in the water, you might notice the water level creeping toward the top of your waders. You feel a bit ridiculous, but the situation is still more funny than scary.

Then you realize that the more draft you lose, the harder it is to kick your way along. Progress slows, but you do manage to reach a point where you’re only a few hundred yards from the launch. The private property shoreline is closer, so you’re still a little complacent. You don’t want to embarrass yourself! Can totally make it back to the launch. But you’re having to really work on your posture to avoid a progressive downflooding situation in your waders.

AND THEN BAM A GIANT PREHISTORIC LOG ROCKETS UP FROM THE DEPTHS STRAIGHT UP INTO YOUR SPHINCTER AND YOURE DEAD!
Every. Damn. Time.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Probably shouldn't bring up the possibility of swimming rattlesnakes if fishing EWA scabland lakes. They just want to snuggle on your float tube.
Rattlesnakes can swim much faster than a float tuber can kick, probably faster than a pontoon boat rower can row - maybe not as fast as @Pez Vela with twin electrics on his pontoon......

P5200003.JPG

I was glad I was in my tin boat and not my float tube when this guy came swimming across the lake.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A number of good suggestions have been made. One change that I made this year was to switch from using an inflatable vest to a full-on PFD. Mine is a NRS Chinook and I wear it when I’m on the water in my frameless pontoon and Fish Cat 4. Thanks @Buzzy for setting an example for the change.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Rattlesnakes can swim much faster than a float tuber can kick, probably faster than a pontoon boat rower can row - maybe not as fast as @Pez Vela with twin electrics on his pontoon......

View attachment 53275

I was glad I was in my tin boat and not my float tube when this guy came swimming across the lake.
man, I love that photo!

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I am so interested and confused by this rocketing log theory…

I have only been using a tube like device for about a year so cannot give a ton of advice outside of have your pdf handy and take reasonable precautions similar to anytime you are using a floating device in cold water. The first time a beaver bumps me or a rattler tries to cozy up to me I may freak a tad but other than that, a tube seems to be one of the safer, more stable small platforms to fish from compared to others like kayaks and canoes. I cannot see flipping mine like I have kayaks and canoes while fishing.

Last edited: