Drift Fishing

G_Smolt

Legend
The g1000 8'6" medium heavy was my go-to Cowlitz drift fishpole, and I still have a g1000 8'6" medium in the gear rack...its cork is so coated with years of egg cure that it is a smooth, shiny yellow in places. Lotta fish met that twig over the years.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
My experience is about the same as others. I found in our area the slinky hangs up much less than other rigs. I like spoons and Evan's comment hit me as right on.
I tried slinkies a bit but I found the paracord dulled the tick tick tick of the lead to much for me.. now that I think about it. I really enjoy that tick tick tick. Like I am exploring the bottom, learning about it, building a mental picture of it

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I tried slinkies a bit but I found the paracord dulled the tick tick tick of the lead to much for me.. now that I think about it. I really enjoy that tick tick tick. Like I am exploring the bottom, learning about it, building a mental picture of it

I never cared for the Para chord either, or the hassle of making them.
I did the hollow core to tag at times but did surgical tubing most of the time.

CRO

Steelhead
Growing up I poured countless pencil sinkers in my grandfathers shop. Lead exposure? A hole punch and a short leader was it. I moved on to surgical tubing when I was able to buy it. For summer time in low clear water I learned to use blood knots and hollow core lead. You loose lead but fewer hooks.

bconrad

Freshly Spawned
I started out drift fishing as well, caught a few fish running a spinning reel and braid before I eventually moved to the level wind. Once I got things dialed in my favorite setup was a 9'+ 8-12 lb rod with a Shimano Curado and 30 lb braid. I'd then run about 10 feet of 12-15 UG off the end of the braid via a double uni knot to give the terminal gear a bit of stretch. Leader was 24" or so of 10lb UG.

I tried a variety of terminal set ups including pencil lead and slinkies. Found pretty quickly that I much preferred slinkies and I liked them to be fixed, not sliding. I started running the slinky as a fixed inline setup with locking swivels off each end. I never liked the mess of bait and usually used a corky and some yarn pulled through a piece of tubing that made a little lure looking thing (learned from a buddy).

By the time I got good at it I caught the fly fishing bug and never really went back to gear fishing. But if I really wanted to catch a fish these days, that's the setup I'd use. It was way more effective than fly fishing!

The grab on a swung fly beats any grab I've had on gear by a mile though...

chrome/22

Low profile operator
Forum Supporter
Just throwing this out in case it might help someone.

Lamiglas in Woodland Washington has or at least had a factory outlet store. They have seconds and repaired rods there for about half price. No warranties but good gear at low prices. Their G1000 series in a medium is a good choice.

That G-1306-T was my 1st serious drift fishing stick, it's retired now & hangs graciously over the door of my man-cave.

c/22

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You’d be surp
That G-1306-T was my 1st serious drift fishing stick, it's retired now & hangs graciously over the door of my man-cave.

c/22

You’d be surprised what a Loomis IM6 1141S and 1141C can do when drift fishing, lol.
SF

chrome/22

Low profile operator
Forum Supporter
You’d be surprised what a Loomis IM6 1141S and 1141C can do when drift fishing, lol.
SF
Had a GL3 1141S for a hot minute. Be the last stick I'd want to drift fish with.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

chrome/22

Low profile operator
Forum Supporter

Stoner, if your of a mind too then relate a tale of drift fishing with your IM6 1141.

I'm pretty down on my GL3 as to me it was a wet noodle waste of graphite. For side drifting out of a sled I guess would be ok, but it would take a hot 10 lb fish to know anything was on it.

I sent mine back to that shop in OR and had them send me the IMX 1082s. My goodness whole different story there

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Stoner, if your of a mind too then relate a tale of fishing with your IM6 1141.

I'm pretty down on my GL3 as to me it was wet noodle waste of graphite. For side drifting out of a sled I guess would be ok, but it would take a 10 lb fish to know anything was on it.

I sent mine back to the shop in OR and had them send me the IMX 1082s. My goodness whole different story there

It might not be the right tool for every application, but if you like using light weight it can be a lot of fun.
Please excuse the net and fish out of water, old photo. Three fish in five casts using drift fishing with the 1141 in fairly low water. ;)
I never felt under gunned with either the S or C.
I enjoyed the S more, by a far margin.
Having used GL3 fly rods, I think yours would have done the same in similar situations.
SF

CC776E20-A9C2-4108-8D54-751FB74DAFAA.jpeg

chrome/22

Low profile operator
Forum Supporter
Impressive light line fish!

I understand the basic theory of the Gary Loomis 1141 design, especially the ability to tire fish quickly with that soft buggy whip parabolic action & its role in protecting a light leader. My 1990 era GL3 for me just didn't have the action I was looking for, I questioned the sensitivity to feel a light bite on it, or even to consistently feel the tap of my hollow core. Perhaps I would have liked the IMX version better.

You enjoyed fishing the spinning version more over the baitcaster? Care to elaborate?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Impressive light line fish!

I understand the basic theory of the Gary Loomis 1141 design, especially the ability to tire fish quickly with that soft buggy whip parabolic action & its ability in protecting a light leader. My 1990 era GL3 for me just didn't have the action I was looking for, I questioned the ability to feel a light bite on it or even to consistently feel the tap of my hollow core.

You enjoyed fishing the spinning version more over the baitcaster? Care to elaborate?

Just much easier to cast light weight with a spinning reel then the bait caster in my opinion.
Might be different with the newer generation of bait casters.
SF

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Soft tips aren't sensitive.. or course neither are heavy tips. The tip of a drift rod is everything.

It needs to be lightish but it also needs to have fast recovery. Light and stiff, exactly the kind of tip that likes to break. The rest of the rod should be stiff enough to move line on the Hook set but with some give for casting.

The best drift rod I ever used was from a very small company owned by one of my Co workers ar Burkheimer and was designed with Kerry's Help. My brother in law stole it and likely pawned it for drug money.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I learned to salmon fish drifting gear on the Puyallup and Carbon River. My dad was a transplant so we ended up having to learn together. I never knew there were other styles of fishing given that's how everyone fished on the puke and really in that combat fishery, it's the only thing you were able to do.

Still looking at learning other forms of great fishing, but I think I'm more content catching fish out in the salt especially on a fly rod.
Those were my home waters. I grew up a few blocks from the Puyallup fishing the Tidewater off North Levee Road during the 70s and 80s. So did my Dad starting in the 50s.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
When it came to weights on drift set ups we originally used surgical tubing with solid core lead. Then when we discovered the Leadmaster plier we switched to hollow core lead and left the tag ends long on the swivel and would attach the lead there. The amount of drift gear we lost went way down.

chrome/22

Low profile operator
Forum Supporter
Soft tips aren't sensitive.. or course neither are heavy tips. The tip of a drift rod is everything.

It needs to be lightish but it also needs to have fast recovery. Light and stiff, exactly the kind of tip that likes to break. The rest of the rod should be stiff enough to move line on the Hook set but with some give for casting.

The best drift rod I ever used was from a very small company owned by one of my Co workers ar Burkheimer and was designed with Kerry's help

You sound like a guy I'd like sit around a campfire & have beer with.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Have you tried shot in shrink tube? Best of both worlds.